    towards the A60, but I would like to get some more input in comparing the
    two cameras. Buydig sells the a60 for $162 and $175 with shipping. Any
    other camera to consider for that price or less? Thanks.

    lbbs, Nov 26, 2003

  2. There are plenty of cheap cameras out there now. Do you want something cheap
    like the Intel Pocket PC? IMHO I would never buy a camera without a zoom
    lens.

    Mr. Transistor, Nov 26, 2003

  3. lbbs

    DHB Guest

    lbbs,
    in my humble opinion (IMHO) the A60 is the batter value because a
    person can grow into it's additional functions "IF" why want to do more with
    it later. With the A300 you have a fixed 33mm lens so if you want a
    "close-up" you must move closer before you can take the shot & who wants a
    camera & flash in there face?

    At family functions I run into this a lot & I have the Canon A40 & A70
    both have a 3x optical zoom range (35-105mm) so I can get a close-up from
    further away & people still don't like getting flashed much so I keep indoor
    flash shots to a minimum. Yes I very much like both the A40 & the A70 &
    almost never use them on full "AUTO" mode unless I am hading to the camera
    over to a complete novice to use.

    As for the 2MP versus 3MP difference, consider this:

    The greater the MP the more room you have to "crop" part of your picture
    & still retain enough resolution to attain a good quality print but on the
    other hand if you have the optical zoom, you may not have need to "crop" at
    all. As you stated "My brother is not very computer literate", thus he's
    probably not going to want to edit most of his pictures. He may just want
    to print the best 1's "as-is".

    As for the 640x480 movie mode, it's nice but it's limited to only 30
    second clips & it uses a lot of CF Card memory. I have this resolution on
    my A70 also & I rarely use it. Also how is your brother going to show these
    clips to others? The A300 does not offer the ability to connect the camera
    to a TV & play his video clips but the A60 does even though it's limited to
    320x240 resolution, 3 minute video clips.

    Last point the A60 is generally easier to use & the batteries will last
    longer too (4 rechargeable NiMH "AA").

    Best thing may be to collect opinions & then do a side by side
    comparison such as here on dpreview:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

    Also check out other review sights & read some of the user comments
    which usually state the pros. & cons. of the camera they purchased. Here is
    just 1 review site but there are others out there as well.

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

    Hope you find my opinion & or information helpful.

    Respectfully, DHB

    DHB, Nov 26, 2003
  4. lbbs

    Sean Nel Guest

    Also keep in mind that generaly an optical zoom with a lesser pixel camera
    will almost always give a better picture than a digital zoom or cropped
    image (if the mp range is not too far appart, that is).

    Sean

    Sean Nel, Nov 26, 2003
  5. lbbs

    Leonard Guest

    I can't comment on the A60 but the A300 is great if you accept its
    limitations - ie if you can manage without a zoom and a decent flash.
    Personally I've used a film compact with a fixed 40mm and no flash at
    all for long enough that I knew it would be fine for me.

    I'd recommend downloading some 2- and 3-megapixel images from one of the
    review sites (don't worry if they aren't from the A60 and A300) and
    having prints made at say 10x8 and 7x5. This should help you decide
    whether you want the extra pixels and is something I wish I had done.

    It might be worth looking at the Sony P52 as an alternative.

    - Len

    Leonard, Nov 27, 2003