canon A300 : how to make it work with linux (RH8.0)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by H. S., Oct 26, 2003.

  1. H. S.

    H. S. Guest

    Hi,

    I am trying to read images from Canon A300 on my RH8.0 box (kernel
    2.4.20-20.8) -- no success so far.

    When I connect the USB cable to the camera and my comp, i get this in
    /var/log/messages:
    Oct 26 18:08:17 localhost kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:1f.2-2,
    assigned address 8
    Oct 26 18:08:17 localhost kernel: usb.c: USB device 8 (vend/prod
    0x4a9/0x3076) is not claimed by any active driver.
    Oct 26 18:08:21 localhost /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: ... no modules for USB
    product 4a9/3076/1
    Oct 26 18:10:12 localhost kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device
    00:1f.2-2 address 8

    I also tried using gtkam. It auto-detects a PTP based camera, but it
    fails to initialize the camera when I press OK. gtkam has no A300 in its
    listings :(

    FWIW, I can read images and movies from a Sony TRV25 camcorder easily by
    treating it a mass storage device.

    All help is appreciated,
    thanks,
    ->HS