    wavelength of the light, and D is the diameter of the primary mirror,

    Actually, a more precise equation is given by:

    R = (1.22 * w) / (n SIN(u))

    RichA, Oct 5, 2006

  2. No. The f number uniquely determines the diffraction limited resolution at
    the sensor regardless of focal length. At which point, for the same f
    number, the focal length determines the resolution of hte subject.
    Hello? The 50/5.0 has exactly the same aperture as the 100/10 and the
    angular (or subject) resolution will be exactly the same.

    Did you actually have this wrong (which would explain why you object to my
    TC arguments) or was it just a goof?

    Assuing you meant that a 100/5.0 will resolve twice the detail of a 50/5.0,
    no one was ever arguing that it wouldn't. Since TC's reduce the f number
    (i.e. don't increase the aperture), you don't get any additional diffraction
    limited resolution.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Oct 5, 2006

  3. Here is a guy who does great planetary imaging with a 250 mm
    aperture at f/42, so 6,000 mm.
    http://www.sg-planets.org/mars.html

    I've done something like f/115 at 203 mm aperture:
    http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries/gallery.astrophoto-1/web/jupiter-8-a.html
    so 23,460 mm (this was before digital).

    I've also done planetary imaging with the UH 88-inch
    on Mauna Kea at f/10, so 88*25.4*10 = 22,350 mm (also with film)

    Planetary Patrol imaging done on Mauna Kea used 24-inch
    (diameter) Cassegrain telescopes working at f/75, so
    24*25.4*75 = 45,720 mm (with film). Those telescopes were
    decommissioned in the 1980s if I remember correctly.

    I'm not aware of any amateur astronomers working at 200,000mm,
    but 50,000 wouldn't surprise me.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Oct 5, 2006
  4. Yep, I agree. But the fact that people have such negative reactions
    is further indication that it is a myth. ;-)

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Oct 5, 2006
  5. Progressiveabsolution

    RichA Guest

    No, resolution, the ability to show detail of a specific size, is
    solely determined by the aperture and is proportional. F-ratio has
    nothing to do with resolution. I only used the faster f-ratio for the
    50mm to illustrate the point that f-ration has no bearing on
    resolution. However, because lenses used at prime focus cannot
    approach their true resolving ability, proving this with camera lenses
    is difficult. It's easy with a telescope.
    If that were true, then you'd see diffraction effects the moment you
    stopped down a lens by even a small amount because you are saying that
    you are operating at the lens's diffraction limit when using a lens in
    prime focus (just the lens and camera) mode. The fact you don't see
    diffraction degrading the image until you hit around f16 or f22 proves
    that no camera lens is operating in prime focus at it's diffraction
    limit. To do that, you must interpose a second lens to increase the
    overall system focal length.
    The only way you'll ever get diffraction limited performance using a
    lens on it's own is to have a sensor with pixels so small they could
    record detail at the diffraction limit using only the fixed
    magnification of the lens at prime focus. They would be very small
    pixels. According to Olympus, the standard kit lenses they have are
    "good" to 22 megapixels in the 4/3rds format. We will likely never
    see that kind of density in a consumer camera.

    RichA, Oct 6, 2006
  6. Progressiveabsolution

    Verne Arase Guest

    You're talking about Apple's MacOS X, right?

    Verne Arase, Oct 17, 2006
  7. Progressiveabsolution

    ASAAR Guest

    Hey, Verne, It's Ernest! No, I didn't mean that. KnowWhutImean,
    Verne?

    ASAAR, Oct 18, 2006
  8. Progressiveabsolution

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    Of course, there's a huge difference when MS does this, as opposed to Apple.
    Apple is trying to gain market share by adding value, MS is trying to steer
    standards in their direction to tighten their hold on the OS monopoly.
    Remember, MS was ruled to be an abusive monopoly by the courts and gets
    treated differently than Apple.

    Kinon O'Cann, Oct 19, 2006