    I bought the 550EX flash but I can't even put the batteries in. The
    instruction is simple, just slide the cover and flip it, but it's wide
    enough to put the batteries in. Are there any tricks?

    newbie, Feb 27, 2004

  2. newbie

    Sorby Guest

    I found it tricky opening the cover the first time.
    It feels like it's going to snap off in your hand - and it probably will if
    you're too rough with it.

    I've just dug mine out to see if there's a knack to doing it.

    1. Slide the cover down (towards the hot-shoe contacts)
    2. *before* trying to open the cover fully - gently tease/pull/wriggle the
    cover towards the back of the flashgun (i.e. where the LCD is).
    3. then gently open the cover fully - it will click (rather horribly) and
    sit at 90 degrees to the body so you can insert the batteries.

    To close it push it downwards a little (away from 90 degrees) and gently
    keep pushing with a little sideways pressure (towards the front of the
    flashgun).
    Then slide it upwards and you're done!

    Sorby, Feb 28, 2004

  3. Yup, that battery door is not the best design. Mine also seems that it will
    snap off before it opens wide. It's a great flash, otherwise. (Does Canon
    employ any mechanical engineers?)

    Charles Schuler, Feb 28, 2004
  4. newbie

    Lionel Guest

    It's a pain. You slide the cover away from the body, then flip the edge
    up. If yours is anything like mine, the crappy plastic hinge tends to
    stick, so you have to be very careful not to snap off the door when
    you're in a hurry to change batteries. <mutter> Bloody lousy design for
    a device that expensive.

    Lionel, Feb 28, 2004
  5. newbie

    Rick Guest

    I have it's little brother the 420 EX and it too has a crappy plastic hinge
    that feels like it's going to break every time I change the batteries, I
    sent a polite letter to Canon tech support letting them know I'm
    dissatisfied with the design, oh well.

    Rick C

    Rick, Feb 28, 2004