Canon 550ex Flash Mod. what do you think?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by earthlink news, Nov 1, 2003.

  1. I got it in my head to make a external power supply ( i.e. wall plug ) for
    my Canon 550ex Flash. ( Canon does not make one)

    I know the flash has a DC power in port on the side for external battery
    packs and looking at canon's web site I found a cable called a "connecting
    cord E" that is used to go from the battery pack to the flash.

    So it looks like I could get the cable,
    bare the battery end,
    get a regulated AC to 6 volt DC ,3 amp Transformer,
    make the connections and ....
    no more batteries while using the flash on a stand with reflector.

    The refresh should be great with all the amperes the transformer gives.

    What do you all think?

    thanks

    fvf

    Canon 10D
    550ex flash

    earthlink news, Nov 1, 2003

  2. sorry name was set wrong on news group
    fvf

    frank v farrell, Nov 1, 2003

  3. The side-port is a high-voltage input, 270 volts. If you really want to
    do this, buy a Transistor Pack E and supply 9 volts DC in (substituting
    the 6 C-cells) and let the "pack" boost the voltage to 270 VDC.

    BTW, Canon charges $50 for the Connecting Cord E separately, but its
    included with the Transistor Pack E $125.

    -Dave

    Dave Herzstein, Nov 3, 2003