    Is the 40D noisier due to smaller pixel pitch? I have heard that the
    metering on the 40D keeps the shutter open for longer than the 20D/30D under
    the same conditions, maybe to help reduce noise?

    Ali, Dec 15, 2007

  2. Ali

    Guest

    On Dec 15, 12:39 pm, "Ali" <> wrote:
    > Anyone done any noise comparisons between the 20D/30D and the 40D, mainly at
    > ISO 800-1600 (without the noise reduction feature on)?
    >
    > Is the 40D noisier due to smaller pixel pitch? I have heard that the
    > metering on the 40D keeps the shutter open for longer than the 20D/30D under
    > the same conditions, maybe to help reduce noise?

    You can check some shots taken at various ISOs between 40D and Xti, as
    well as many other cameras. I could not find i,age comparison with the
    5D, 20D or 30D though.
    Check it out at
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
    and pick the cameras from a list for comparisons
    I hope that this help you

    , Dec 15, 2007

  3. Ali

    Dirty Harry Guest

    "Ali" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone done any noise comparisons between the 20D/30D and the 40D, mainly
    > at ISO 800-1600 (without the noise reduction feature on)?
    >
    > Is the 40D noisier due to smaller pixel pitch? I have heard that the
    > metering on the 40D keeps the shutter open for longer than the 20D/30D
    > under the same conditions, maybe to help reduce noise?

    Check dpreview.com, I think they have noise graphs on there.

    Dirty Harry, Dec 16, 2007
  4. Ali

    Neil Pugh Guest

    In message <>, Ali
    <> writes
    >Anyone done any noise comparisons between the 20D/30D and the 40D,
    >mainly at ISO 800-1600 (without the noise reduction feature on)?
    >
    >Is the 40D noisier due to smaller pixel pitch? I have heard that the
    >metering on the 40D keeps the shutter open for longer than the 20D/30D
    >under the same conditions, maybe to help reduce noise?

    <http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-40D-Digital-SLR-Cam
    era-Review.aspx>

    Regards,

    --
    Neil Pugh

    Neil Pugh, Dec 16, 2007
  5. Ali

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Dec 15, 1:39 pm, "Ali" <> wrote:
    > Anyone done any noise comparisons between the 20D/30D and the 40D, mainly at
    > ISO 800-1600 (without the noise reduction feature on)?
    >
    > Is the 40D noisier due to smaller pixel pitch? I have heard that the
    > metering on the 40D keeps the shutter open for longer than the 20D/30D under
    > the same conditions, maybe to help reduce noise?

    I just did a quick comparison of my 20D and my 40D. I shot a Gretag
    MacBeth Colorchecker chart at each ISO. You would be hard pressed to
    tell the difference between them, except for the larger image size
    from the 40D.

    Here are two actual size crops from the comparison:

    Annika1980, Dec 16, 2007
  6. Ali

    Ali Guest

    Cheers all.