    kind).

    Thanks,
    Bruce

    bikerb422, May 18, 2005

  2. bikerb422

    paul.busse Guest

    I recently used a 300D for a friend's parents' 50th anniversary
    renewal ceremony/reception. Did ceremony by available light, with
    50/1.7 and 28-135 IS. Switched to 420EX flash for reception, all with
    28-135. Pleased with results!

    Paul B.

    paul.busse, May 18, 2005

  3. There ya go...stick that flash right on the camera and do every shot
    with one light.

    Randall Ainsworth, May 19, 2005
  4. bikerb422

    Muffin Guest

    8mp is not nearly enough for wedding photography. Most wedding
    photographers use medium format film. If they use digital, they shoot with
    something like the Fuji S3, which Fuji says brings photography "closer" to
    film at 12.3 million effective pixels, as you can see here.

    http://fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/proPhotoProductS3.jsp

    This Popular Photography article says it takes an $8,000.00 16.6mp Canon
    EOS-1Ds Mark II to rival ISO 100 35mm color print film.

    http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=1342&page_number=1

    If you are doing amateur work, the Canon 350D would be okay, but a pro would
    not use it for this application. You could get by quite nicely with 35mm
    film and high quality lenses, unless you can afford a Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II.
    If you are really serious about doing wedding photography, shoot medium
    format film.

    Muffin

    Muffin, May 19, 2005
  5. bikerb422

    Skip M Guest

    8mp is more than enough for wedding photography, and more than the S3 will
    deliver, since it is a 6mp camera. I haven't seen any wedding photographers
    using Fujis in my area, not to say that they don't, just I haven't seen
    them. OTOH, I have seen them shooting with 10Ds, 20Ds, 1D and 1D mkIIs, 1Ds
    and 1Ds mkIIs and Nikon D2x and D2h cameras. Very few use MF in the field,
    just in the studio, or if they do use them in the field, it is for the
    formals. The present desire for "photojournalistic" images sort of makes MF
    difficult to utilize at its best, at 10-12 images per roll, it's hard to
    keep spontaneity going.
    We use 20Ds with stellar results. The biggest enlargement we've gone to so
    far is 24"x36". And, to boot, film does not give the post production
    control that digital does.
    That article doesn't really say that 16.6 mp is the minimum to match film.
    And some articles have said that 16.6 mp rivals MF.
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/digital-thouhts.shtml
    By the way, the first sentence is in no way meant as a slam on the Fuji, it
    is a fine camera, and its innovative pixel arrangement gives better dynamic
    range than what is available to normal Bayer sensors, but to call it a 12mp
    camera is roughly akin to calling the Sigma SD10 a 10mp camera...

    Skip M, May 19, 2005
  6. I suppose it would be OK if you only wanted to print black & white
    wallet-sized photos.

    George Preddy, May 19, 2005
  7. bikerb422

    Colin D Guest

    I gather from your reply that you are not a wedding photographer, and
    have no personal experience in the area.

    Firstly, there are weddings and there are weddings. Where one couple
    will spend a million dollars on a wedding and want mural-sized shots on
    every wall, another more modest couple will want more family-type shots,
    none over about 8x12, or maybe one or two at 11x14. For this second
    couple, a 6 or 8 megapixel digital will amply fulfill the need.

    Absolute needle-sharp definition is not required, just sharp-to-the-eye
    prints with pleasing colors and accurate color balance, which is where
    digital shines.

    I shoot weddings with a 300D, and have no complaints.

    Colin

    Colin D, May 19, 2005
  8. bikerb422

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Does anyone ask for black and white?

    Paul Rubin, May 19, 2005
  9. bikerb422

    Skip M Guest

    We get a lot of requests for b&w. It's an easy conversion from a digital
    file, but we've on occasion shot b&w film, too.

    Skip M, May 19, 2005
  10. bikerb422

    Colin D Guest

    As of this time, no-one has. Interesting thought, tho'

    Colin

    Colin D, May 20, 2005
  11. bikerb422

    Skip M Guest

  12. bikerb422

    Whatevah Guest

    I had an inquiry last week for color and black & white, but haven't had
    any followups from them. Guess I should give them a call on Monday,
    should be a nice break from editing shots from the weekend.

    Whatevah, May 20, 2005