    canon 300D to connect to my PC? Tried the Canon site, but nothing...

    Maybe someone could mail it to me, if I supplied an e-mail address??

    Craig

    Craig, Jul 11, 2004

  2. Craig

    Skip M Guest

    Didn't you get it with your camera? If you didn't, the simple solution is
    to get a card reader.

    Skip M, Jul 11, 2004

  3. Craig

    Martin Lyons Guest

    SNIP
    Hi Craig

    WinXP should see the camera as a removable drive.
    You shouldn't need a driver.
    Use Windows Explorer and open "My Computer" you should see it there.

    Hope you get it sorted!

    Regards
    Martin

    Martin Lyons, Jul 11, 2004
  4. Craig

    Jim Townsend Guest

    The drivers should be on the disk that came with the camera..

    If you check your camera menu, do you have a 'Communication'
    setting that gives you the options of 'Normal' and 'PTP'?

    If so, make sure it's set it to 'PTP' That will allow Windows to
    see the camera and communicate with it without the need for external
    drivers. PTP is already built in to XP.

    If you have it set to Canon's proprietary 'Normal' protocol, you'll
    need Canon's proprietary drivers.

    Jim Townsend, Jul 11, 2004
  5. Craig

    Big Bill Guest

    The 300d is a USB Storage Class device, and as such needs no driver to
    connect to a PC using WinXP.
    This assumes that the PC has the USB ports properly initialized, which
    depends more on the Motherboard (and associated drivers) than XP.

    Have you been able to conect, for example, an external hard drive to
    the laptop in the past? Have you tried any other Storage Class
    devices?

    (Water under the bridge in your case, but this really should have been
    attempted before leaving for the holiday.)

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Jul 11, 2004
  6. The Canon 300D is not a USB Storage Class device. At best it uses
    Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) when enabled through the camera's menus.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Jul 11, 2004
  7. Craig

    Zol. Guest

    Hi, goto www.powershot.com & look under the Pro Digital SLR section for the drivers &
    software updates - the info & downloads are there for you & your XP system.

    Zol.

    Zol., Jul 11, 2004
  8. As others have pointed out, you need the Canon USB driver to access the
    camera in Canon mode, but you should be able to use PTP mode with WinXP
    without any additional drivers.

    Or you could get a USB card reader, which will probably be faster.

    But there's a 3rd option: most laptops have a couple of PCMCIA (PC Card)
    slots. If you get a CF card to PC card adapter, you can plug the CF
    card into a PC card slot and it will appear as a disk to the laptop.
    Then you just copy files.

    Since this is a direct parallel connection to the PC Card bus, transfers
    are likely going to be faster than via USB. And since the CF card
    interface is electrically the same as the PC card interface, the adapter
    is just a passive connector adapter and thus cheap. (Adapters for other
    card formats like MMC/SC or Memory Stick need electronics to convert
    between interfaces and protocols).

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jul 11, 2004
  9. Craig

    Big Bill Guest

    Whoa!
    I shoulda checked better!
    I was thinking of my older C4000. Sorry!

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Jul 12, 2004
  10. Craig

    skymuffins Guest

    I use a PC Card Slot - CF Card adapter. I got it for $10 at BestBuy. It
    works just fine... and I can use it as a removable storage device to boot.

    - Harrison

    skymuffins, Jul 12, 2004
  11. Craig

    skywalker-moonflyer

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you so much for this! I had the same problem but hundreds of pictures of a wedding stuck on my camera, I changed the communication to PTP and it worked a treat. I'm so happy:D

    skywalker-moonflyer, Apr 25, 2010