Canon 300D as Removable Storage

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by bj286, Oct 12, 2003.

  1. bj286

    bj286 Guest

    bj286, Oct 12, 2003

  2. bj286

    MikeWhy Guest

    computer?

    In a word, No. You can read and write the CF card as a file system when
    mounted in a card reader. Also, the 300D supports PTP, allowing XP to
    transfer images without additional or proprietary software. Last, even if it
    could be read as a drive, the USB 1.1 interface would make it prohibitively
    slow. (Not sure which was asked; I think I hit all three angles.)

    MikeWhy, Oct 13, 2003

  3. bj286

    Not Very Guest

    Get a cheap card reader. Then you can use the flash card as storage. Just
    carry the card reader with you.

    Not Very, Oct 13, 2003
  4. bj286

    bj286 Guest

    So even on PTP enabled system, it does not work as a standard storage drive, right?

    http://digitcamera.tripod.com/

    bj286, Oct 14, 2003
  5. bj286

    MikeWhy Guest

    drive, right?

    I don't use PTP and don't know for sure. I expect that XP's scanner and
    camera image utility grabs the pictures to a folder. I use a FW card reader.
    You can work directly off fast cards, or at least copy them at whatever
    speed the cards allow without. Aside from the very slow USB 1.1 speed, I'm
    pretty sure the camera adds quite a bit of overhead on each image
    transferred.

    (I have the Lexar FW reader, and don't particularly recommend it. It works
    well enough, but I often have to unplug and plug it back in for XP to see
    it. It also draws power from the permanently attached 6-pin cable, and has
    no provisions for batteries or external power. Portable use with notebooks
    is difficult. I have a PCMCIA CF reader also, so it's not a big deal for me.
    USB 2 readers might be the way to go if your notebook supports that. Either
    way, PCMCIA FW or USB 2 cards might be another solution. If you only have a
    notebook, or if your desktop can use them also, PCMCIA readers are a good
    solution.)

    MikeWhy, Oct 14, 2003
  6. drive, right?

    It's seriously unlikely that the 300D doesn't look like a standard storage
    drive to XP. It may be painfully slow (it's USB 1.1), but it should still
    look like a standard drive. That's what just about every other digital
    camera does...

    (I'm not arguing with people who say it's so slow it's not worth using;
    that's a different question...)

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Oct 14, 2003
  7. bj286

    MikeWhy Guest

    It was worth finding out... simpler for me, than for you to go on guessing.

    In PTP mode, the camera device appears in XP's explorer folder list. It's a
    flat folder, combining the contents of all image directories. The DCIM
    subdir is hidden, as are its picture and misc folders. This is a minor
    improvement over scanning through the multiple image folders, but
    foreshadows a limitation. You can view the images (except CRW, of course) as
    thumbnails, and double-click to preview as you would in any other file
    folder. You can drag drop to copy to another folder. It won't let you drop
    onto an open application (Photoshop was the only thing open, and the only
    one I tried). CRWs are in the image list, but the corresponding THM files do
    not appear. I didn't try copying the 7 MB RAW images to find out if the THM
    comes with. Photoshop's file browser sees the camera device, but I've given
    up waiting for the image thumbnails to appear. Right clicking has a limited
    set of operations: preview, copy, move to my pictures, and delete. Dragging
    other image or arbitrary files over the camera folder or device shows a
    slashed circle cursor. Dropping, of course, does nothing. The file menu
    lacks file or folder creation options. The camera shut itself off some time
    ago, giving up about the same time I likewise wearied of its glacial
    responsiveness.

    PTP supports transferring images from the camera to the PC. It does not
    allow the normal operations you would associate with a "standard storage
    drive". More to the point, you can't use it to transfer arbitrary data files
    from one machine to another.
    A question worth answering, for once and never again :). It was an
    excruciatingly painful experience, taking well over 10 seconds for each 3 MB
    jpeg. To put some scale on it: a completely full gigabyte card downloads
    through the firewire reader in 2 1/2 minutes. 300+ jpegs will fit on the
    same card: 300 * 10 secs = 3000 seconds = 50 minutes. It's not just a matter
    of patience. All likely scenarios compelling enough to fallback on the USB
    port involves batteries. If I'm out of cards, it's a safe bet I'm also out
    of batteries. It's time to put the camera away and *be* the scenery.

    With that out of the way, you now need to ask what difference there is
    between leaving the camera's communication setting on "Normal", versus
    "PTP". I doubt it matters for me. I might as well pull out the soldering
    gun right now...

    MikeWhy, Oct 14, 2003
  8. Canon cameras tend *not* to behave as removable storage devices. I
    don't know about the 300D specifically, but if you plug the G-family
    cameras into a Win2K system, it just shows up as a camera, not a storage
    device. You have to use a specific program to transfer the data
    (zoombrowser, Breeze downloader) to the computer.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Oct 14, 2003