Canon 300D $100 Rebate now available (along with lens and flash rebates)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Siddhartha Jain, Oct 21, 2004.

  1. The US$100 rebates started on 15th October. I am waiting for the black
    dRebel to appear in the shops.

    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 21, 2004

  2. Siddhartha Jain

    Linda_N Guest

    As stated several weeks ago, Canon Canada and Canon USA have, as expected,
    dropped the price of the Rebel 300D by $100 via a rebate. Several lens units
    are flash units are also available at reduced pricing via rebates.

    http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/CanonRebelRebate.shtml

    Currently available to both Canada and the USA. I'm not sure about the
    European market rebate plan (if any) you'll have to check the Canon European
    site.

    Linda

    Linda_N, Oct 21, 2004

  3. Siddhartha Jain

    G Eisenmann Guest

    Currently available to both Canada and the USA. I'm not sure about the

    Never heard about American-style rebate plans here in Europe - would be nice
    though!

    Georg

    G Eisenmann, Oct 21, 2004
  4. Siddhartha Jain

    Linda_N Guest

    Rebates for both countries came out the same day. I've been trying to post
    this messages (along with several others) since then but the posts have not
    been showing up. I'd not seen any other postings about it so thought I'd
    still better let folks know.

    Linda

    Linda_N, Oct 21, 2004
  5. Maybe this time? You can get the rebate for the grey-market models. See
    BHPHOTO.com

    You might know who, Oct 21, 2004
  6. Has Canon announced that it is going to?

    Michael A. Covington, Oct 21, 2004
  7. I have several black Digital Rebels, and have sold a few. There doesn't seem
    to be a problem getting them in Canada...

    Darrell Larose, Oct 22, 2004
  8. Siddhartha Jain

    Linda_N Guest

    Black dRebel 300Ds have been around since the beginning. I saw someone state
    that at one time black was the only model available in Japan. Black was
    special order here for a while, but later I saw sites stating both models
    were available. Why do folks want silver more than black?

    Linda

    Linda_N, Oct 22, 2004
  9. Siddhartha Jain

    GT40 Guest

    I was told by one of my local camera store that people think it looks
    like metal. I'd rather have an all black camera.

    GT40, Oct 22, 2004
  10. Siddhartha Jain

    Linda_N Guest

    I think you guys are luckier in that when there is a discount it is taken
    off the shelf price (so you pay less right away). I dislike the rebate
    programs because sometimes the manufacturer doesn't make good on them,
    sometimes the manufacturer claims they never received your request, or they
    say it came in late etc... I was once told that 60% of North Americans never
    even bother claiming the rebate (even the $100 ones) and that is why the
    companies do it that way.

    Linda

    Linda_N, Oct 22, 2004
  11. Siddhartha Jain

    Linda_N Guest

    That could be the reason, silver does look more solid/sturdy. Black is
    probably better for less light reflection/interferance.

    Linda

    Linda_N, Oct 22, 2004
  12. As far as I can tell only Ritzcamera has been taking pre-orders for the
    black dRebel in the US for a week or so now. I haven't seen the black
    dRebel in any of the US online stores otherwise.

    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 22, 2004
  13. The silver rebel reflects light where as the black one absorbs light
    and heat thus making the CMOS sensor hotter. This makes the pics
    noisier. But as Mercedes' experience shows that anything black sells
    well in Japan, hence the black dRebel for Japan and silver for US.

    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 22, 2004
  14. Siddhartha Jain

    RTJ Guest

    Yes!!! Like 10d and 20d ;-)
    ;-) a very good excuse for people who have silver rebel ;-)

    In other words using black d-rebel won't frighten away animals and birds
    any more ??

    RTJ, Oct 22, 2004
  15. Siddhartha Jain

    Bill Bannon Guest

    Oh for crying out loud. Canon made it silver to set it apart as a pro-sumer
    rather than pro camera. I simply don't care what color mine is. Where I
    live people are amazed to see a digital SLR in the hands of someone other
    than the reporter from the local paper. It works wonderfully and I wouldn't
    care if it was green.

    Bill Bannon

    Bill Bannon, Oct 22, 2004
  16. Siddhartha Jain

    Linda_N Guest

    Ritzcamera is still quoting $1000+ for the 300D plus kit lens which is the
    highest I've seen in months.

    I've seen black offered at several USA online stores in the past few months.
    Most show the silver model, but mention in the description 'also available
    in black' while others you have to 'add to cart' and then enable black on
    the purchase page. I'd venture to guess that all stores can special order
    black if they don't have it in stock now that it has found its way into the
    North American market anyway.

    Linda

    Linda_N, Oct 22, 2004
  17. Siddhartha Jain

    RTJ Guest

    Neither would I !
    That's why I'm shocked if somebody's creating
    ideas "why my silver camera is better than black" ;-)

    RTJ, Oct 22, 2004
  18. Siddhartha Jain

    Linda_N Guest

    Interesting. So from a wear and tear perspective it makes more sense to get
    silver, but from a lighting perspective it makes more sense to get black.

    Japan with its beautifully, vivid, silk worm kimonos (sp?) of days gone by
    sure has succumbed to black in modern day for both genders (used to be
    mostly men only in black). blah.

    Linda

    Linda_N, Oct 22, 2004
  19. Green... now there's an idea!

    Wasn't there once a brown leather version of the Pentax K1000?

    I seem to recall seeing someone advertise brown leather kits for a
    technician to replace the black parts on an Olympus OM-1. It may have been
    the same materials as on the Pentax.

    Michael A. Covington, Oct 22, 2004
  20. Hmmm ... can you point me to some of such online stores? I just checked
    with B&H and the customer rep said he had no clue when they will ship
    the black version.

    Cheers,

    Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 22, 2004