    Israel Rodriguez

    http://www.tehawk.com
    http://home.earthlink.net/~tehawk

    Israel Rodriguez, Dec 25, 2004

  2. Israel Rodriguez

    Ryadia Guest

    You decide which is right for you.
    sRGB is a television standard. It will display correctly on almost any
    monitor.
    Adobe RGB is a Printing standard. When you use sRGB you will not be able to
    print much of the colour information which is "out of gamut" whereas if you
    print from Adobe RGB the printed colours will be a lot closer to what you
    see on the screen. Professinal Photographers usually use Adobe RGB unless
    they intend to make a video of Still images from their shots.

    Doug

    Ryadia, Dec 26, 2004

  3. Israel Rodriguez

    paul Guest

    I was just noticing that in my Nikon manual & they say adobeRGB has a
    wider color gamut which is better for if you plan to manipulate in
    photoshop but if you plan to just print without adjustments, sRGB is
    fine. I don't understand but I'm pretty sure that's what they said. Now
    it's getting a bit fuzzier but maybe also that only photoshop will show
    that extra info & other viewers it won't help.

    paul, Dec 26, 2004
  4. Israel Rodriguez

    Pete D Guest

    The "Pros" will tell you to use AdobeRGB for evrything as it will contain
    more info, etc.

    Pete D, Dec 26, 2004
  5. Israel Rodriguez

    YoYo Guest

    Try it yourself,
    Most printers will only print sRGB even if sent an aRGB file.
    Like I said try it yourself take two photos same settings, one in sRGB the
    other in aRGB and then print both photos without any editing!

    You will then see the diffrence!

    YoYo, Dec 26, 2004
  6. Israel Rodriguez

    leo Guest

    The answer is many printers cannot print vivid color as in AdobeRGB and
    the color outside the printer gamut would be clipped. However, sRGB is
    very narrow, so you won't get surprises but you don't get the advantage
    of the printers' full capability either. The best method is shoot in
    AdobeRGB and then convert the photo to the printer's color space and ask
    for _print as is_ when printing. I do that at Costco (frontier and
    Noritsu) and the prints come out well. It is the same method I use when
    printing on my Epson R200.

    Check to see if this site has the printer profile for the shop you use:
    http://www.drycreekphoto.com/

    leo, Dec 26, 2004
  7. Israel Rodriguez

    C J Campbell Guest

    sRGB was originally developed for monitors that were no better than TV sets.
    It is inappropriate even for web graphics now. Any decent printer will have
    the option of printing Adobe RGB. sRGB is all right if you only have a VGA
    monitor, but anyone looking at anything beyond that will want Adobe RGB.

    C J Campbell, Dec 26, 2004
  8. Israel Rodriguez

    Bill Hilton Guest

    Try it yourself,
    No, the printer will print using it's OWN gamut ... most good photo printers
    have gamuts that are wider than sRGB (for sure the high end lasers like the
    Chromira and LightJet, plus all the better Epson, HP and Canon inkjets), but
    for practical business reasons the Fuji Frontier-type printers are set up
    assuming that the files they'll receive are sRGB because that's what most of
    their customers send in.

    Bill Hilton, Dec 26, 2004
  9. Israel Rodriguez

    leo Guest

    There are printer profiles available. Here is the workflow:
    http://bermangraphics.com/press/frontier.htm

    leo, Dec 26, 2004
  10. That may or may not have anything to do with how a particular shop
    handles its workflow. Just because a printer is capable of full color
    management doesn't mean it'll be used. I am certain there's a fair
    amount of variation between one Costco and the next.

    John McWilliams, Dec 27, 2004
  11. Israel Rodriguez

    leo Guest

    No. the printer does NOT understand color management. This means you
    can't embed printer profile. However, you should convert the file to the
    printer's color space YOURSELF and remember to tell the operator to
    print without any adjustment. At Costco, you write down the instruction
    in the envelope. The clerk had no problem understanding it. She even
    asked, "no color and brighness correction, correct?" And started to
    explain. Of course, it's up to the person who's actually operating the
    terminal to read the instruction and turn off auto corrections.

    leo, Dec 27, 2004
  12. Israel Rodriguez

    andrew29 Guest

    In general use Adobe RGB. It has a wider gamut; this means that Adobe
    RGB images can contain a wider range of brightly saturated colours.
    You can render (i.e. convert) an image from Adobe RGB to sRGB later
    for web display.

    If you print an image in Adobe RGB without conversion to a printer
    that is expecting sRGB, bad things will happen. For this to work
    properly demands that you have colour management aware software, such
    as Photoshop CS or Qimage.

    If you're not using colour management aware software, you're better
    off using sRGB throughout, but this is definitely second best.

    Andrew.

    andrew29, Jan 2, 2005