    critically from anyone that has experience with both. Thanks in
    advance.

    , Sep 21, 2005

  2. On 21 Sep 2005 09:33:02 -0700, "" <>
    wrote:

    >Folks,
    >
    >These two lenses are roughly the same price. Outside of the obvious
    >benefits of having a zoom, has anyone had experience with both? In
    >terms of image quality what is your take? I have seen good reports on
    >both. My gut tells me that if the price is roughly the same, the 200mm
    >f2.8/L probably gives better image quality, but I would like to hear
    >critically from anyone that has experience with both. Thanks in
    >advance.

    Look here...

    http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=37&sort=7&cat=2&page=2

    and here

    http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=14&sort=7&cat=27&page=2

    User reviews of both lenses...

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Sep 21, 2005

  3. JohnR66 Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Folks,
    >
    > These two lenses are roughly the same price. Outside of the obvious
    > benefits of having a zoom, has anyone had experience with both? In
    > terms of image quality what is your take? I have seen good reports on
    > both. My gut tells me that if the price is roughly the same, the 200mm
    > f2.8/L probably gives better image quality, but I would like to hear
    > critically from anyone that has experience with both. Thanks in
    > advance.

    Canon's own MTF charts seem to indicate the zoom being sharper except at the
    edges. The 200/2.8 seems to be an older design. Compare to the MTF charts of
    any of the other L series tele primes, it seems to be left behind. Not sure
    if the zoom will fit on Canon's teleconverters, but it should work fine on a
    1.4x and retain AF.

    I'd go for the the zoom in this case. It performs very good for a zoom lens.
    My only wish is that it had IS. My 300/4 L has IS and it is a godsend.

    John

    JohnR66, Sep 22, 2005