    out of my price range). Too bad canon won't sell them for $5,000 to
    $6,000, because if they did, they would probably sell alot more of
    them.

    BK2, Aug 5, 2003

  2. BK2

    W6DKN Guest

    And they could price them at $1399.99 and sell them at Wal-Mart and Best
    Buy too (like another Canon)... they'd sell even more of them then... :>)

    <<< Dan >>>

    W6DKN, Aug 6, 2003

  3. BK2

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Or they could sell them for £150 with a good lens thrown in... and some
    batteries... and -

    :O)

    Paul Heslop, Aug 6, 2003
  4. BK2

    Lionel Guest

    Indeed. I also think it's too bad that Porche don't sell their cars for
    2/3rds of their current price, because they'd probably sell a lot more
    of them too. Hell, come to think of it, imagine how many more cars
    they'd sell if they took the simple step of pricing them at $14.95!
    Dude, you're a marketing *genius*!

    Lionel, Aug 6, 2003
  5. And a free car!

    Not to mention 12 Round the World air tickets and a house on the French Riviera.

    All this for $12.99

    But wait, there's more.

    Order now and you will get a free set of steak knives!!!!

    A bit more than, Aug 6, 2003
  6. BK2

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Damn, the steak knives did it! Enclosed is my $12.99

    Is P&P free?

    Paul Heslop, Aug 6, 2003
  7. BK2

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 6, 2003
  8. BK2

    Canongirly Guest

    Cor just think how many more cars Aston Martin Lagonda Ltd could sell if
    they were to wipe $150,000 off the price of their Vantage. Mind you if they
    did I don't think they'd ever make many....something about the R & D and
    production costs maybe?

    Canongirly, Aug 6, 2003
  9. BK2

    Lionel Guest

    Nope. It's $2,463,845.95

    Lionel, Aug 7, 2003
  10. BK2

    Paul Heslop Guest

    How about the seven of hearts?

    Paul Heslop, Aug 8, 2003
  11. Hi BK2

    For pros who need the 1Ds's capabilities, and have
    $10-$50k invested in Canon L lenses, the 1Ds price
    is a minor deal. The camera pays for itself quickly.

    For others, yeah, it's high, but it will come down over
    time.

    Stan

    Stanley Krute, Sep 18, 2003
  12. If only the weight could come down too! My usage doesn't need all the armour
    plating, but I'd love the real wide angles again.
    (10D user.)

    Malcolm Stewart, Sep 18, 2003
  13. BK2

    Jim Townsend Guest

    They'd sell even more if they sold them for the same price as the new 300D :)

    I'm sure we'll see an affordable full frame camera in the next few years..

    Jim Townsend, Sep 18, 2003
  14. BK2

    MarkH Guest

    If you already have the 10D then do what I am doing. Buy good lenses as
    you can afford them, use the 10D and take heaps of photos, save your money,
    after five years replace the 10D with a 24MPix full sized sensor for under
    $2K.

    Of course for me it’s not too bad because I have never been a real wide
    angle user, I’ll probably get a 17-40L and be happy with how wide that is.

    MarkH, Sep 18, 2003
  15. BK2

    Mark Roberts Guest

    They're selling as many as they can build, the limitation being their
    production capacity for full-frame sensors. When they improve yield
    and/or increase production capacity to the point that they can
    manufacture more sensors than needed to meet 1Ds demand they'll be able
    to introduce a stripped-down version of the 1Ds (probably around $5000
    at first). I suspect this camera is already designed, but they'd be
    foolish to release it while they're selling all the $8000 cameras they
    can make.

    Look at what happened with the 10D: They kept selling only the $1500
    camera while the demand exceeded the supply. Then they found a way to
    increase die yield for the sensors (and also doubled production capacity
    for the CMOS sensors) and we got the 300D/Rebel-D.

    Mark Roberts, Sep 18, 2003
  16. Hi Mark
    Yep. And THAT camera will FLY off the shelves. The 1Ds' rep
    as the gold standard in DSLR plus the lowered price will ensure
    that.

    Stan

    Stanley Krute, Sep 18, 2003
  17. BK2

    Mark M Guest

    I'm not so sure of that any more.

    B&H has already selling them for $800 less ($7195) than when they first came
    out ($7995).
    And...the last three times I've checked, the 1Ds has been in stock EVERY
    TIME.
    --Seems to me sales rates are below production rates, or the price would
    neither continually drop, nor would they remain in stock so regularly.

    In fact, it's been a over two months since I've noticed it being OUT of
    stock.
    (I like to keep tabs on these things from time to time...just out of
    curiosity)

    -Mark

    Mark M, Sep 19, 2003
  18. BK2

    Scott Coutts Guest

    Maybe I'll offer B&H a helping hand. All those unsold, big & heavy
    1Ds cameras are probably taking up too much space in their
    warehouse. I suppose I could make room for one or two at my place if
    I really had to :)

    Actually, if nobody buys them, that suits me fine! Bring down the price!

    Scott Coutts, Sep 19, 2003