Canon 1D Mark II shutter life - maintenance - refurb - replacement

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JC Dill, Nov 28, 2006.

  1. JC Dill

    JC Dill Guest

    I shoot sports events, sometimes taking more than 10k shots a day at a
    busy event. My Canon 1D Mark II body has around 100k shutter
    actuations on it. I would like to avoid having the shutter fail in
    the middle of an event, so I want to know what types of maintenance I
    can have done to help stave off such a problem.

    Does anyone here have any experience with what you get WRT extending
    the shutter life when you have the camera serviced by Canon? Does a
    regular service before the expected shutter failure point extend the
    period before the shutter might fail? Does Canon offer any special
    shutter refurbishing that would extend the life of the camera, and if
    so can someone quote (estimate) the cost for this service? Does
    anyone know what it costs to have the shutter repaired if it fails?

    Thanks!

    jc

    JC Dill, Nov 28, 2006

  2. JC Dill

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Call Canon tech support. They will tell you.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Nov 28, 2006

  3. JC Dill

    Bill Hilton Guest

    I would email these Q's to the Canon repair facility in Irvine ... I
    *think* the MTBF on the 1D M II is either 150,000 or 200,000
    actuations, but this is just the "mean". Typically the high speeds go
    first, slowing down so you get overexposure, so maybe periodically
    shoot test shots at 1/2,000th, 1/4,000th and 1/8,000th.

    I'd guess replacing the shutter is only a few hundred dollars if you
    want to replace one once the actuation # gets to a certain number, but
    you can check with Irvine on this ...

    If you're really worried about missing a key shoot then just bring two
    bodies (that's what we have) and keep an eye on the histograms. That
    way you won't miss many shots.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Nov 28, 2006
  4. JC Dill

    SimonLW Guest

    Suspicious. more than 10K per event? Your camera is used up in less than 15
    events? What do you do, turn on the camera and hold the shutter button down
    stopping only to change cards? How many batteries and cards do you have? Why
    not get a high def video cam and shoot 30 fps?
    Gimmie a break.

    SimonLW, Nov 28, 2006
  5. JC Dill

    just bob Guest

    If you are a pro you need to sign up for CPS, so you can get loaner gear
    while you are awaiting repairs.

    Canon USA Inc.
    One Canon Place
    Lake Success, NY 11042-1198
    Attn: Canon Professional Services
    (516) 328-4283 Phone
    (516) 328-4809 Fax

    just bob, Nov 28, 2006
  6. JC Dill

    Jeremy Guest

    10K a day?!? No offence, but maybe you need to learn the art of
    photography, or buy a video camera.

    If you want to know how to overcome failure, get two or three bodies.

    Jeremy, Nov 28, 2006
  7. Jeremy wrote:
    LOL! Agreed! It's amazing what types of life forms populate usenet.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Nov 28, 2006
  8. JC Dill

    Eric Miller Guest

    I guess you have never shot a large triathlon or marathon and attempted
    to get at least one shot of every participant (and in the case of the
    triathlon, at least three shots of every participant, one shot for each
    phase of the race).

    Eric Miller

    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
    stupidity." - Robert J. Hanlon

    Eric Miller, Nov 28, 2006
  9. JC Dill

    Jeremy Guest

    Is it possible to take a photo of every participant in a marathon?

    More to the point, why would you want a photo of every participant in a
    marathon. Maybe you need a video camera too?

    Jeremy, Nov 28, 2006
  10. Even in that scenario you'd still be hard pressed to squeeze 10K off. A
    good photographer can do it in less than a 1,000.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Nov 28, 2006
  11. That sure as hell would make for some very boring images. Maybe they need
    to shoot 20K since the results are the same?

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Nov 28, 2006
  12. JC Dill

    Annika1980 Guest

    Even at 8fps that's over 20 minutes of actual shooting time with the
    shutter button down.
    That guy must get some awesome pics! Of course, that doesn't leave
    much time for details like framing and composition. And processing all
    those RAW files must be a bitch.

    Annika1980, Nov 28, 2006
  13. Some people simply get it right the first time in-camera and don't screw
    with post. This "guy" as you call it is Mark's twin sister if you really
    want to know.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Nov 28, 2006
  14. JC Dill

    just bob Guest

    In 2004 I dropped a 1D and Canon Factory Service in Irvine replaced the
    shutter and mechanism, mirror, and sensor(!) for under $300.00 USD. The old
    sensor had some grit on it which could not be removed even with endless
    sensor swipes so when it arrived with a new sensor I nearly wet myself.

    Last year after a long hot day of work the data wheel on the back stopped
    responding and they charged me the same and this time I got a whole new back
    on the camera, including LCD and everything. Very nice.

    Unfortunately both times I had to send it right back because something minor
    didn't work, but it was no charge.

    just bob, Nov 29, 2006
  15. JC Dill

    Mark² Guest

    If you can point to a single photographer who habitually shoots an
    *individual photo* of 10,000 runners/participants in a marathon, I would be
    seriously shocked.

    Mark², Nov 29, 2006
  16. JC Dill

    Mark² Guest

    And of courseeven that assumes a non-existent, UN-limited memory
    buffer--about the size of the Goodyear blimp...

    Mark², Nov 29, 2006
  17. If there are 100 entrants in a triathalon, and you take 24 frames (a 3
    second burst) of each in each phase of the race, that's 7,200 frames. (You
    problably need multiple photographers to do that, though, so the number of
    frames per camera will be a lot less.)

    This isn't a particularly odd thing to do: Our CEO does age-bracketed
    swimming (her team holds the Japan record for the 4-person 400-meter
    freestyle relay _for their age bracket_), and at the 2 or 3 day events, they
    take multiple shots of each entrant and put thumbnails up on the web with an
    ordering form. Said CEO uses one of such shots as her cell-phone wallpaper
    and new-years card photo.

    While they aren't taking 10,000 frames per camera per event, it's still a
    few thousand frames. And for that sort of thing, they probably don't shoot
    RAW, but just save to a smaller JPEG, so the CF card capacities aren't all
    that gross. (7,200 downsized JPEGs (M2, q8) will easily fit on four 4-GB
    microdrives).

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Nov 29, 2006
  18. JC Dill

    Mark² Guest

    To take 24 frames of the same runner (unless it's just an all-out
    shutter-blast), you've got to be traveling along with the runner somehow.
    Meanwhile...other runners are passing by near him/her. Add to this that
    there are usually many many thousands of people in marathons, meaning most
    runners are obscured by other runners.

    It doesn't really matter, frankly...just that claims are being made that I
    think are doubtful at best.
    Sure. I can buy that. But swimming events only have a limited number of
    subjects, and they don't move very fast... Also...they don't block each
    other from camera view. :)
    That I can believe. No problem shooting a couple thousand or perhaps more.
    Agree again.

    Mark²

    Mark², Nov 29, 2006
  19. JC Dill

    Bill Funk Guest

    I watched a triatholon once - I don't think a single photographer
    could do that.
    For an 8-hour event, this would be 40 shots a minute. With a 1D MKII,
    that can be done with a lot of continuous shooting, but it wouldn't be
    three pics of each participant, one at each event.

    Bill Funk, Nov 29, 2006
  20. JC Dill

    Bill Funk Guest

    Shooting that many pics at a sporting even, I have to think you're a
    pro and getting paid for it.
    As such, another body is well within reason as part of your toolkit.
    Contact Canon for the price questions; obviously, they know the
    answers. While you're talking to them, ask about their loaner program.

    Bill Funk, Nov 29, 2006