canon 18-55 or sigma 18-50 lens for 300d??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gareth Tuckwell, Aug 13, 2004.

  1. Would you recommend the standard kit Canon 18-55mm lens or the slightly
    shorter Sigma 18-50mm lens for an EOS 300d?

    Gareth Tuckwell, Aug 13, 2004

  2. OEM is always preferred over anything with the Sigma name on it.

    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 14, 2004

  3. Gareth Tuckwell

    Mark B. Guest

    Sigma has a 18-50mm f/2.8 EX lens coming out in September, should be much
    better than the verion they have out now.

    Mark

    Mark B., Aug 14, 2004
  4. Gareth Tuckwell

    Big Bill Guest

    When I was looking to get a new camera, I did a web search on problems
    with the various cameras I was considering; you'll find problems with
    all of them, as well as just plain 'buyer's remorse'.
    With the Digital Rebel/300D, the main problem, the one that came up
    the most, was Sigma lenses; they often just don't work, as Canon
    updates firmware, Sigma is always a few steps behind. Error 99 is the
    most common symprom.
    Sigma *may* rechip, or they may not, depending on the lens involved.
    I never figured it was worth the possible problems to buy a Sigma lens
    for my DR.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Aug 14, 2004
  5. this is a non question in my mind. the choice of a Canon lens of whatever
    quality is far better than the best Sigma line of lenses.

    cheers

    --
    chas
    The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc

    schuetzen - RKBA!, Aug 14, 2004