Canon 10D on Manual using Zooms with Variable Aperture

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robot, Dec 14, 2003.

  1. Robot

    Robot Guest

    I'm considering a Canon 10D, but need to use the variable-aperture Canon
    zooms on manual with studio flash.

    My present camera (a Nikon F100 film camera) allows me to manually select
    shutter speed and F-stop, staying constant even when using variable aperture
    lenses.

    In other words, if you use a 35-70mm f3.5-f5.6 zoom, and you set a manual
    exposure of 5.6 at 1/250th sec., then the zoom lens stays at 5.6 throughout
    the zoom range (35 to 70mm). This works as long as you set it to the higher
    aperture (5.6 in this example, you could set it higher - but not lower to
    remain constant).

    This allows using variable aperture zooms easily with studio flash.

    Does the Canon 10D have this function on Manual exposure?

    Thanks. Please reply here.

    Robot, Dec 14, 2003

  2. Robot

    dslr Guest

    What I think you're asking is "Can I set a specific aperture, provided
    it's smaller than or equal to the smaller max aperture of the lens, and
    have that used whatever the zoom settng on the lens?"

    If so, the answer is yes. In fact it is yes for any camera that has
    manual aperture control.

    dslr, Dec 14, 2003

  3. Robot

    PlaneGuy Guest

    With the Canon cameras, using variable aperture zooms, you can set the
    aperture manually to any value greater than or equal to the max aperture of
    the lens, and it will stay there (eg set it to 5.6 in your example).

    If however, you are at the 35mm end, and set the aperture to f3.5, then as
    you zoom out to the long end, the aperture will change to 5.6. IIRC if you
    then zoom back to 35mm it will return to 3.5.

    PlaneGuy, Dec 14, 2003
  4. Robot

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Dec 14, 2003