    less than 4.0 in manual mode. Anyone else get this to work? Some tips
    please.

    Thanks.

    Ride-A-Lot, Dec 27, 2003

  2. Are you zoomed out to the wide end? If not, do so and try again. If you are,
    appologies for the noise.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Dec 27, 2003

  3. Ride-A-Lot

    Mark M Guest

    You have a variable max aperture lens (the reason it's called..."2.8-4.0,
    rather than just 2.8).
    This means it's max aperture shrinks to 4.0 at the longer end of the zoom
    (near 35mm).
    If it won't allow 2.8 at the wide end, then you've got a problem.

    Mark M, Dec 27, 2003
  4. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    That was it! Thanks.

    Ride-A-Lot, Dec 27, 2003
  5. Ride-A-Lot

    John Smith Guest

    It is only f2.8 when the zoom is set to 17mm! At anything greater than
    17mm it's widest aperture is f/4.0. This is what is called a variable
    aperture zoom. Widest aperture varies based on where you have it zoomed.

    John Smith, Dec 29, 2003