Cannot View all shared folders files on network!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by kenny, Sep 18, 2005.

  1. kenny

    kenny Guest

    I have 2 XP pro SP2 machines... and I have simple file shared enabled on
    both.
    I have shared the drives of one of the computers so I can get to them from
    the other.
    However, only SOME of the folders in the drives are accessible... and some
    of the files are missing!

    When I click on some folders I get the message:
    "The specific server cannot perform the requested operation"
    This is strange.. it has never happened to me before.
    I tried unsharing and sharing again .. but nothing changed.

    If I type the address of the folder manually on the address bar, I can
    access the folder.

    These people have a similar problem:

    http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/12009443/m/946003994731/r/665003515731

    screenshot http://212.73.189.14/shared_folder_problem.PNG

    Any Ideas?????

    kenny, Sep 18, 2005

  2. kenny

    Benoit Guest

    try to unscore and score permission while you "right click" on the up
    folder and click on property

    if not, what about a real ftp server

    Ben

    Benoit, Sep 18, 2005

  3. kenny

    kenny Guest

    Lol you would not believe what I am seeing here.... I will explain and tell
    me if you ever have encountered something like this

    When I make a new folder with a new name and place the files that were in
    the invisible
    folder into the new folder then they are visible on the network....

    I tried renaming the old folder to something else with no luck...
    I tried changing the attributes to the old folder with no luck
    I tried moving it to another disk with no luck.

    The only solution is to make new folders and place the files in them...

    It seems that XP has stored somewhere a list of files that cannot be seen in
    the network,
    or there are some hidden attributes on some folders.

    Do you have any idea about this behaviour?

    kenny, Sep 18, 2005
  4. kenny

    boywonder Guest

    Something similar happened to me. Takes 2 mistakes to make this one a hard
    one.

    1. You must log on to one XP with a user that is listed on the other XP
    2. Microsoft sends a moronic error message like what you saw to make things
    difficult. [ experienced users and pros know what I'm talking about! ]
    It takes a real genius to make things easy to understand.

    boywonder, Sep 19, 2005
  5. kenny

    kenny Guest

    I know what you are saying, but this is not the case on my computer.
    even If I browse the network on the same computer I am, I cannot see those
    files and folders.
    It has somethng to do with NTFS permisons.... I think...I am fiddleing with
    those.
    The strange thing is that I dont understand how these changed.

    Kenny

    kenny, Sep 19, 2005