    to be "wide open", looking for a registry setting and looking through local
    Group Policies to no avail. Any help on where to look next would be
    appreciated.

    Guest, Aug 21, 2007

  2. That's usually a feature of the printer drivers themselves and some
    manufacturers insist that THEIR printer be default.

    What make and model printers are you using?

    Cari \(MS-MVP\), Aug 21, 2007

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Both are HP's. Color LaserJet 4700n and a Laserjet 5000n. Like I said,
    though, I can set a default with a local admin account just not a network
    account with local admin rights, so I wouldn't think it was driver related.
    thanks.

    Guest, Aug 21, 2007
  4. Create a printer that uses inbox drivers and see if you can set the default.
    It works for me with a domain users account that has admin rights to the
    local machine. I picked up the HP CLJ 4700 driver and that also works.
    This sounds almost like a registry permissions issue rather than an x64
    issue. .

    make sure the user has Full (or special) access to

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

    I was able to get the same behavior by removing my use account from this
    key.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    Alan Morris [MSFT], Aug 21, 2007
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Excellent! That key was actually missing. I added it set permissions and it
    now works. Thanks!

    Guest, Aug 22, 2007
  6. That's just too strange that the key was not there. I'll just add this to
    the weird things in the wild that I have encountered through the years.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    Alan Morris [MSFT], Aug 22, 2007
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Alan,

    After much frustration and searching for a solution to this exact problem, I
    have come across this thread, which I think holds the solution.

    The problem is that I am an amateur and don't quite understand the solution
    you posted. If you could clarify exactly what needs to be done, I would be
    eternally grateful!

    Basically it's the same problem: I can't set a default printer on my network
    account (no green tick appears, nothing happens, not even an error), and can
    therefore only print from programs that require no default printer, which
    isn't many.

    Thanks!

    --
    Frustrated Amateur

    Guest, Oct 17, 2007
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    hi all,

    I'm using windows 2003 server, std edition SP1 and am having this issue.
    some users connect and get a default printer while others have none. I see
    the 1109 error in the error log. I added the users group to this registry key
    but it doest appear to have helped. Any other ideas?

    Guest, Oct 31, 2007
  9. Guest

    Kue2 Guest

    Go here: http://www.coribright.com/windows/
    & Go Here:
    http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&q=error 1109 Exchange Server 2003

    These 2 sites might give you answers

    Kue2, Nov 1, 2007
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi again,

    I was able to resolve this issue by copying the "default user" profile from
    another windows 2003 server, deleting those users profiles that could not
    print and then getting them to log back in (and thus re-creating their
    profile).

    Hopefully thats some help to anyone else :)
    Simone

    Guest, Nov 1, 2007