Cannot see shared folder/files on one PC

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Ian Roberts, Feb 9, 2006.

  1. Ian Roberts

    Ian Roberts Guest

    Hi

    I have 3 PC's....

    Two of them can share files without any problem but the third one cant see
    the other two.

    The odd thing is that they can all ping each other; required folders are set
    for sharing and they all have wireless internet access.

    The 3 machines are:

    A) Main PC (Sony Laptop) is running XP Pro.

    B) Office PC running XP Home

    C) Workshop laptop running XP Home

    A+B can share files but neither can see C. Nor can C see A or B

    A+B+C can all ping each other

    The folders I want to share on C are set for sharing.

    On both A and B Ive tried using map a network drive but the Workshop laptop
    doesnt appear in the browse list. If I try \\workshop\data it says it cannot
    connect.

    Setting up file sharing between A+B was so easy and straightforward. So I'm
    at a loss what to try next to get C to work.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks for your time.

    Ian

    Ian Roberts, Feb 9, 2006

  2. Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 10, 2006

  3. Ian Roberts

    Webbie Guest

    Webbie, Feb 10, 2006
  4. Ian Roberts

    Ian Roberts Guest

    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys.

    After a lot of reading and checking eventually got it working - deleted
    unrequired network components and protocols as well as ensuring the Computer
    Browser Service was active on just one PC. The firewall settings which I
    initially suspected were fine and didnt need any tweaking.

    Not quite sure if it was just one of the above that did it but the net
    result of doing all of them got it sorted.

    Thanks again

    Ian I^)

    Ian Roberts, Feb 17, 2006