Cannot read e-mail in MIME

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by r_mervart, Nov 25, 2005.

  1. r_mervart

    r_mervart Guest

    I have received e-mail written in Czech language (that I can read) but the
    content looks garbled. On inspection of the first part of the message it
    appears that it is in MIME format about which I know very little. Text
    written in Czech received from other correspondents I can decode
    successfully with Encoding set to either Central European Windows or ISO. I
    am using standard OE6 and Win 98SE. I have copied the message "header" of
    the problem e-mail below. Is there any way I could decode this message
    correctly with the tools I have?

    ------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C5F1FC.8EE82BC0

    ------=_NextPart_001_000E_01C5F1FC.8EE82BC0

    Thanks
    Roman Mervart

    r_mervart, Nov 25, 2005

  2. r_mervart

    Rich Wilson Guest

    You know very little? This should sort you out:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME

    Rich Wilson, Nov 26, 2005

  3. r_mervart

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Rich Wilson spewed forth:
    Isn't MIME kind of like the envelope a letter comes in?

    Toolman Tim, Nov 26, 2005
  4. r_mervart

    Rich Wilson Guest

    Er, kind of I guess... I'm not quite sure the metaphor works though -
    letters don't normally come in code with instructions for how to unscramble
    them.

    Rich Wilson, Nov 26, 2005
  5. r_mervart

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Rich Wilson spewed forth:

    They did when I was a kid <g>

    Toolman Tim, Nov 26, 2005
  6. r_mervart

    Trax Guest

    |>I have received e-mail written in Czech language (that I can read) but the
    |>content looks garbled. On inspection of the first part of the message it
    |>appears that it is in MIME format about which I know very little. Text
    |>written in Czech received from other correspondents I can decode
    |>successfully with Encoding set to either Central European Windows or ISO. I
    |>am using standard OE6 and Win 98SE. I have copied the message "header" of
    |>the problem e-mail below. Is there any way I could decode this message
    |>correctly with the tools I have?
    |>This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
    |>
    |>------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C5F1FC.8EE82BC0
    |>
    |>------=_NextPart_001_000E_01C5F1FC.8EE82BC0

    I'll let you do the math, need the entire article to tell for sure;
    seems something is missing.

    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1521.html

    Trax, Nov 26, 2005
  7. r_mervart

    Evan Platt Guest

    Evan Platt, Nov 26, 2005
  8. r_mervart

    Trax Guest

    |>I'll let you do the math, need the entire article to tell for sure;
    |>seems something is missing.
    |>
    |>http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1521.html

    From that link:
    "The multipart/alternative type is syntactically identical to
    multipart/mixed, but the semantics are different. In particular,
    each of the parts is an "alternative" version of the same
    information.

    Systems should recognize that the content of the various parts are
    interchangeable. Systems should choose the "best" type based on
    the
    local environment and preferences, in some cases even through user
    interaction. As with multipart/mixed, the order of body parts is
    significant. In this case, the alternatives appear in an order of
    increasing faithfulness to the original content. In general, the
    best
    choice is the LAST part of a type supported by the recipient
    system's
    local environment."

    Trax, Nov 26, 2005
  9. r_mervart

    r_mervart Guest

    .......that has just confirmed how little I still know
    Roman

    r_mervart, Nov 26, 2005
  10. r_mervart

    r_mervart Guest

    r_mervart, Nov 26, 2005
  11. r_mervart

    r_mervart Guest

    I would normally gladly send you the whole message to look at but, as it is
    from a solicitor, there will be some confidential information in the text.
    I thought of forwarding the message to other my mail clients such as Gmail,
    Hotmail and Yahoo in hope that they may be able to decode. Could that work
    or would the message need be sent there direct for it to have a chance to
    be decoded rather than be forwarded from OE6?
    So far forwarding to Gmail did not produce any better result.
    Roman

    r_mervart, Nov 26, 2005
  12. r_mervart

    Trax Guest

    |>> I'll let you do the math, need the entire article to tell for sure;
    |>> seems something is missing.
    |>>
    |>> http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1521.html
    |>>

    |>I would normally gladly send you the whole message to look at but,

    I take it you read my follow up post, and understand why it's always
    going to display garbled text; yet everything displayed.
    (two formats of the same message)

    Trax, Nov 26, 2005
  13. r_mervart

    r_mervart Guest

    I read your follow up post but I am still not entirely clear what, if
    anything, I can do about that message. It says in it's header that it is
    to. The whole contents, not only parts of it, are "garbled" including my
    original e-mail to which this message is the replying to. My original e-mail
    had also non ASCII characters but was readable when I sent it. I can see
    that in this format some non ASCII characters have been replaced by =XY,
    where XY are varying characters depending on what does it represent. For
    example:

    "V=E1zen=FD pane inzen=FDre" I would write as "Vázený pane inzenýre"

    I am not sure if you can read correctly even what I have written but it
    seems that all the characters that have dash above the base character get
    changed to the format =XY. Here it is second character á ( a with dash
    above) and sixth character ý ( y with dash above) in the first word and
    similarly sixth character ý ( y with dash above) in the second word.

    My fundamental question is what should I do now:
    -Is it fault of my OE6 that it cannot read otherwise correctly formatted
    e-mail?
    -Is the e-mail formatted incorrectly?
    -Should I ask them to send the same directly to a different e=mail client
    (Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo) ?
    -Should I ask then to send it in some other way?
    -Should I give up and ask them to send me a letter of fly to Czech republic?
    -Any other constructive advice?

    I know they are also using OE but the whole environment including the
    operating system will be based on the native language.

    Thanks
    Roman

    r_mervart, Nov 26, 2005
  14. r_mervart

    Trax Guest

    |>> I take it you read my follow up post, and understand why it's always
    |>> going to display garbled text; yet everything displayed.
    |>> (two formats of the same message)
    |>>

    |>I read your follow up post but I am still not entirely clear what, if
    |>anything, I can do about that message. It says in it's header that it is
    |>to. The whole contents, not only parts of it, are "garbled" including my
    |>original e-mail to which this message is the replying to. My original e-mail
    |>had also non ASCII characters but was readable when I sent it. I can see
    |>that in this format some non ASCII characters have been replaced by =XY,
    |>where XY are varying characters depending on what does it represent. For
    |>example:
    |>
    |>"V=E1zen=FD pane inzen=FDre" I would write as "Vázený pane inzenýre"
    |>
    |>I am not sure if you can read correctly even what I have written but it
    |>seems that all the characters that have dash above the base character get
    |>changed to the format =XY. Here it is second character á ( a with dash
    |>above) and sixth character ý ( y with dash above) in the first word and
    |>similarly sixth character ý ( y with dash above) in the second word.

    - They way I read it is: -

    More than one format in message

    One format is Plain text (iso-8859-1), and why I thought something was
    missing - I was expecting another entry, like Content-Type:(HTML)

    This is the mix'd part and an alternative format of the same message.

    Which one your reader displays is dependant upon your system's
    local environment. (RFC 1521)

    |>My fundamental question is what should I do now:
    |>-Is it fault of my OE6 that it cannot read otherwise correctly formatted
    |>e-mail?

    The alternative format would make it readable on any system.

    |>-Is the e-mail formatted incorrectly?

    I don't think so,

    |>-Should I ask them to send the same directly to a different e=mail client
    |>(Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo) ?

    Wouldn't hurt.

    Trax, Nov 26, 2005
  15. r_mervart

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In r_mervart spewed forth:
    Tell them to turn off HTML and send it as plain text?

    Toolman Tim, Nov 26, 2005
  16. r_mervart

    Whiskers Guest

    snip

    I notice among the headers of your usenet article:-

    Which is suitable for 'American English' (and tolerable for British
    English). The 'charset' for Polish is iso-8859-2
    <http://www.w3.org/International/O-charset-lang.html>. Perhaps you need
    to adjust the settings in your e-mail program?

    Whiskers, Nov 26, 2005
  17. r_mervart

    r_mervart Guest

    That may be better than what I get now but I am not sending in plain text
    and I am sending e-mails in Czech and can receive e-mails from other people
    in Czech and see all the dashes and hooks.
    Roman

    r_mervart, Nov 27, 2005