Cannot open web links from withing Outlook

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ACP, Dec 14, 2006.

  1. ACP

    ACP Guest

    The PC in question has two users, both with admin privileges. One can open
    hyperlinks in Outlook 2003 email and one cannot.

    I have searched the web and MSKB and tried everything I could find.

    I reset the "Reset Web Settings" in IE 6.

    I tried to fix a possible corrupted reg key ~
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\htmlfile\shell\open\command ~ by
    importing a new reg key as found in the various web sites. When I click the
    new .reg file I get the message "cannot import".

    If I go into the registry and click on the htmlfile folder, I get "cannot
    open - error while opening key".

    What are some other thing I can try?

    Thanks....

    ACP, Dec 14, 2006

  2. ACP

    Evan Platt Guest

    Must be Wednesday again.

    Look for any posts after the second Tuesday of each month.

    Evan Platt, Dec 14, 2006

  3. ACP

    ACP Guest

    And your point is?

    ACP, Dec 14, 2006
  4. ACP

    Evan Platt Guest

    Shit, it's been one of those weeks.

    No.. Months.

    No. Years. Yeah, that's it.

    Evan Platt, Dec 14, 2006
  5. ACP

    Evan Platt Guest

    My point is this question is asked every second Wednesday after
    peoples machines automatically download the Windows Update.

    Evan Platt, Dec 14, 2006
  6. ACP

    ACP Guest

    OK, please point me to a solution.

    ACP, Dec 14, 2006
  7. ACP

    Evan Platt Guest

    Evan Platt, Dec 14, 2006
  8. ACP

    ACP Guest

    ACP, Dec 14, 2006

  9. It sounds like a default browser issue in the user account which won't launch
    hyperlinks. Got Firefox or something other than IE loaded up in that
    account? Did hyperlinks work previously? When did you notice the
    discrepansy?

    Goto Internet Options > Programs tab (in that user account) and look at
    Default web browser. Either make IE your default if it's not, and check
    "Tell me if IE is not the default web browser" (mine is IE7, but previous is
    similar). Apply and OK out, and then try your Outlook mail links. If you
    want Tardzilla or any of that other stuff working your nerves, you can always
    do that later... (o;

    If I ever opened a trampoline store, I don't think I'd call it
    "Trampo-Land" because potential customers might think it was a
    store for tramps, which is not the impression we are trying
    to convey with our family-oriented store.

    On the other hand, we would not arbitrarily prohibit tramps
    from browsing, lounging, posing or testing the trampolines,
    unless a tramp's gyrations seemed to be getting way out of control.

    Bucky Breeder, Dec 14, 2006
  10. ACP

    ACP Guest

    It's a friends PC so I don't use is very often and they don't tend to
    complain as soon as things don't work as they should. At one time FF was
    installed and the links worked fine from Outlook email. When they told me
    they weren't working, the first thing I did was uninstall FF. Maybe I
    should go through the registry and remove any leftover FF entries.

    I did check in IE 6 internet options and IE is the default browser program.

    Maybe I'll try installing IE 7 and see if that straightens out the mess.

    I've used Mozilla/Firefox on two PCs at home and never ran into this
    problem.

    Thanks for your input.

    ACP, Dec 15, 2006
  11. ACP

    Fred Guest

    Did you try this?
    http://support.microsoft.com:80/kb/281679

    Fred, Dec 15, 2006
  12. ACP

    ACP Guest

    ACP, Dec 15, 2006
  13. ACP

    ACP Guest

    I tried the suggestion is the referenced KB.

    The only one with a problem was: regsvr32 mshtml.dll

    Also, IE 7 will not install.

    I've decided to bite the bullet and reinstall the OS.

    ACP, Dec 15, 2006
  14. ACP

    lkboop Guest

    Simple solution-download Mozilla Thunderbird and kiss stupid problems
    good bye.

    lkboop, Dec 17, 2006