Cannot open ANY web pages...???

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike O'Brien, Feb 7, 2005.

  1. Mike O'Brien

    Mike O'Brien Guest

    I think this one might have been done to death before but it has me at a
    loss.

    Still on dialup & the problem I have at the moment is that I CAN dial up &
    log in happily to my ISP.
    However if I try to access ANY web page I get a white screen & the "This web
    page is unavailable" message.

    Was working fine about 3 days ago...

    Latest versions of AVG antivirus, Spybot 7 Adaware show NOTHING!

    All IE settings are fine.

    Apart from this system is running fine...

    I have heard of LOTS of people having a very similar issue... Does anyone
    have any ideas?

    Running XP Pro - SP2...

    AMD XP 2400+ / 512MB RAM / Nvidia GeForce MX 440.

    Help me please... I REALLY do not want to re-format again!

    Cheers

    Mike.

    Mike O'Brien, Feb 7, 2005

  2. Mike O'Brien

    elaich Guest

    Are they really? Go into Tools>Internet Options>Advanced and see if
    "Install on demand" is ticked. If it is, you visited a web page and got a
    virus or Trojan installed without even knowing it.

    elaich, Feb 7, 2005

  3. Mike O'Brien

    WormWood Guest

    Does Firefox have the same issue?
    (you *DO have Firefox, don't you?)
    (you *DO have Firefox, don't you?)
    (you *DO have Firefox, don't you?)

    WormWood, Feb 7, 2005
  4. Mike O'Brien

    elaich Guest

    No, it doesn't. It asks you every time something tries to install software.
    Yet, was that a very good way to advertise Firefox? Think abut it.

    elaich, Feb 7, 2005
  5. Mike O'Brien

    WormWood Guest

    You need to configure Firefox the same as any other browser. Edit /
    Preferences / Advanced / Software Installation, double click to expand
    list, uncheck the two boxes, ie: Enable Software Installation and Check
    for Updates. This will stop the "install" nags.
    Yes. There are those who will actually give it a try if they hear about
    it......and learn how to configure it.

    WormWood, Feb 7, 2005
  6. Mike O'Brien

    Jim Berwick Guest

    The major difference here is, unless you go changing settings, Firefox will
    /only/ install software that comes directly from the Mozilla.org sites. IE
    will happily prompt you to install anything that comes from anywhere.

    Jim Berwick, Feb 7, 2005
  7. Mike O'Brien

    WormWood Guest

    Actually that isn't the case with my copy of Mozilla (Firefox.) I can
    initiate any download I want with the settings as stated above ~or~ if
    both options are selected. With the boxes ticked, you will get messages
    about upgrades, which I have never received. You will still get offers
    to help find and install plug-ins as necessary, which is a big plus +.

    WormWood, Feb 7, 2005
  8. Mike O'Brien

    °Mike° Guest

    Have you checked your internet settings, particularly
    your proxy settings? How about scanning for malware
    and viruses?

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Feb 7, 2005