Cannot open a text file in My Documents

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ECLiPSE 2002, Jan 13, 2005.

  1. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    I just discovered that I am enable to open several .doc files that I
    have saved in My Documents. When I attempt to open them I get a popup
    message entitled Wordpad with the following statement..."Can not load
    Word for Windows 6.0 files."

    I have always used Wordpad to save my text documents and cannot
    understand how or why Word files got involved - I have never used
    Word.

    When I purchased a new Compaq PC with WinXP home, I transferred all of
    My Documents from my old PC running Win 98se to the new PC. Is it
    possible that the transfer somehow caused this glitch?

    Does anyone have a suggestion for salvaging these files - most are
    genealogy files and of considerable value to me.

    Thanks for any suggestions or guidance.

    Frank

    ECLiPSE 2002, Jan 13, 2005

  2. ECLiPSE 2002

    Ingeborg Guest

    You can try to use 'Word Viewer' from Microsoft.

    <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=95E24C87-8732-48D5-8689-AB826E7B8FDF>

    Ingeborg, Jan 13, 2005

  3. ECLiPSE 2002

    Jamco Guest

    or you could download open office. Its basically a free version of MS
    office, so it should open your files for you. Definately a step up from
    word pad

    Jamco, Jan 13, 2005
  4. ECLiPSE 2002

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    Right click any *.doc file.
    Click Properties.
    Under Open with, Click the change button.
    Select WordPad.
    Check Always use the selected ...
    Click Apply.
    Click OK.

    I have MS Word. It was the default program for *.doc files. I just changed
    it so WordPad would open *.doc files.

    I better change it back. ;-)

    Wesley Vogel, Jan 14, 2005
  5. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    Many thanks to the responders - the installation of MS Word Viewer did
    the trick.

    For some reason the following suggestion failed to work for me :Right
    click any *.doc file.
    Click Properties.
    Under Open with, Click the change button.
    Select WordPad.
    Check  Always use the selected ...
    Click Apply.
    Click OK.

    Still am perplexed that the files were saved in the Word format since
    I have never used Work nor have I ever had the program on any of my
    PCs - past or present?

    Frank

    ECLiPSE 2002, Jan 15, 2005