Cannot logon to domain beacuse of domain controller crash

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by sechem, Sep 23, 2007.

  1. sechem

    sechem Guest

    Hi all,

    I have a simple network with 3 computers: One domain controller
    running Windows server 2003, two member servers running windows xp
    pro.
    The 2 member servers belong to a domain called chance.com. One day,
    the domain controller server crashed and I had to reinstall Windows
    server 2003 and active directory for domain chance.com. After that
    incident, my member computer can no longer log on to the domain even
    though I created the same user name and password as before in the
    active directory. I don't want to create a new user name for fear of
    losing all my member computers setting.

    I have only limited knowledge of Windows server 2003. Any help would
    be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    Ken

    sechem, Sep 23, 2007

  2. sechem

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Remove the XP boxes from the domain by putting them in a workgroup, reboot
    and then re-add them back to the *New* domain.

    pcbutts1, Sep 23, 2007

  3. sechem

    why? Guest

    How do you think the same username / password matter?

    If you have a DC (the expression 'member servers' and 'XP Pro' don't go
    together) then you should know why this isn't working.
    Here is a clue you created a 'new' DC with the same name / AD entries.

    You didn't restore / rebuild the DC and AD you had.

    The PCs know about the old DC/AD you have to tell them to join the new
    DC/AD. Move then into a workgroup and then rejoin to the new DC.
    You need to have another Win Server 2003 as a replication partner of the
    AD.

    This is 1 of the experiences that gives you a chance to learn more.

    There are lots of resources to be found using www.google.com and the
    specific MS server news groups,

    http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?&sel=33607298&expand=1
    microsoft . public . windows . server

    http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?&sel=33607433&expand=1
    microsoft . public . win2003

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...tory/activedirectory/stepbystep/addomcon.mspx
    or shorter
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/bz5te

    Step-by-Step Guides
    Part I: Installing Windows Server 2003 as a Domain Controller
    Part II: Installing a Windows XP Professional Workstation and Connecting
    It to a Domain

    Creating Additional Domain Controllers
    The following steps should be performed on a computer that has Windows
    Server 2003 installed and is connected to the common network
    infrastructure created in Prerequisites in this guide.
    Me

    why?, Sep 23, 2007