    Altria
    BTW, Anyone else haveing this issue? Also, I am trying to do both VMware and
    full installation.

    Altria, Jul 6, 2005

  2. Altria

    Guest Guest

    If you are receiving an error in reference to not having APIC enabled I had
    the same problem with my Tyan S2865 board. Charles Russel suggested it's
    possible that the board doesn't support APIC 2.0 which is required. You can
    read the post here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...&tid=ae0046a3-5040-4ee4-b63a-7995e47e7b51&p=1

    Of course I am only guessing on what the error message you are receiving is.

    Crawl

    Guest, Jul 6, 2005

  3. Hello,
    Exactly.
    It is hard to tell what the actual issue is, without the the exact error
    message.
    Certainly ACPI error could be what you are seeing as mentioned above.
    How are you starting setup?
    You have to boot from the cd to start setup. You may be seeing an error
    because you are trying to start setup ( which is 64-bit) from within a
    32-bit operating system. If so the 64-bit Setup program, may be generating
    an error, since 64-bit programs cannot run from inside a 32-bit OS.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "=?Utf-8?B?Q3Jhd2w=?=" <>
    <Subject: RE: Cannot install WiN2k3 64bit
    <Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 07:35:02 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <If you are receiving an error in reference to not having APIC enabled I
    had
    <the same problem with my Tyan S2865 board. Charles Russel suggested it's
    <possible that the board doesn't support APIC 2.0 which is required. You
    can
    <read the post here:
    <
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=micros
    oft.public.windows.64bit.general&tid=ae0046a3-5040-4ee4-b63a-7995e47e7b51&p=
    1
    <
    <Of course I am only guessing on what the error message you are receiving
    is.
    <
    <Crawl
    <
    <"Altria" wrote:
    <
    <> Hello All,
    <> I have AMD fatality board 3200+64bit CPU.....
    <> Everytime I install windows 64bit it tell me that this is not the
    correct
    <> machine type...
    <> According to the manual from ABIT I have set everything correctly for
    the
    <> board/CPU to operate in 64 bit mode so what can be the problem.
    <> TIA,
    <> Altria
    <> BTW, Anyone else haveing this issue? Also, I am trying to do both VMware
    and
    <> full installation.
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jul 6, 2005
  4. Altria

    Altria Guest

    Thanks guys for the response!!

    Yes I will try to run the setup again which was from a boot CD and copy the
    exact message down.
    I do not recall seeing ACPI error but I could be wrong.
    I used MS virtual server 2005 and the impression I got is that you are able
    to run a 64 bit OS, I thought it did not matter whether you were using a
    32bit OS because it uses its own shell.
    Again I may be on the wrong track not really sure how all these things are
    suppose to work. I really appreciate the feedback guys..Thanks again
    Altria

    Altria, Jul 7, 2005
  5. Just running Virtual Server on an x64 system does not enable 64-bit guests.
    Check the emulated hardware in the Virtual Server Administrators Guide and I
    think you will find that the emulated motherboard chipset is Intel 440BX
    (32-bits). Service Pack 1 beta only adds support for two more guests, both
    32-bit. Unless the emulated hardware changes, you will not be able to run
    x64 as a guest. You would not be able to run any 64-bit OS on a 32-bit mobo
    in the real world either.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 9, 2005