cannot hear sound through monitor speakers in a HP L1950 monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by s, Dec 6, 2009.

  1. s

    s Guest

    I can hear sound, but as it comes from the CPU which is placed a
    little far from my monitor with an unusually long cable due to space
    constraints, the sound is quite faint. I cannot increase the sound to
    a very high level which would disturb others. But, I guess if I could
    hear sound through my monitor speakers, it would be audible enough for
    me.

    The machine is running Vista Business 32bit edition and is a HP xw4600
    workstation with 1GB RAM and 2.3 GHz processor.

    Can I hear sound using the monitor speakers instead of the on board
    speakers?

    I looked at the links
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01289551&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en
    The monitor is connected through a VGA cable and there is a audio
    cable which goes to the CPU. The playback device shows as a Speaker as
    a High Definition Audio as shown on the screenshot at
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01289551&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

    Looked at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01564647&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en#
    but could not hear anything from the monitor speakers

    As per http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01528081&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en
    updated the audio driver with RealTek which caused some conflict. Had
    to roll back the driver so that I could hear from the on-board audio
    speakers as earlier

    Installed the Fixit tool from Microsoft's site http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9668690
    which also did not help.

    There does not seem to be a separate sound card for the device, just
    the on-board is responsible for providing the sound.

    Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    s, Dec 6, 2009

  2. s

    s Guest

    Yes, there is a cable which goes from the green jack in CPU to the
    LCD. The speakers are working. When I removed the cable from the green
    jack in CPU to another jack(red), there was a hum sound.

    What else can I try?

    Thanks

    s, Dec 7, 2009

  3. s

    thanatoid Guest

    ups.com:
    The only sound you would hear from the CPU is from the 2"
    speaker which is used to emit beeps and other alerts. There ARE
    old programs which used it for "normal" sounds, and there are
    programs and tweaks which can make it play sounds you would
    normally want to listen to through "computer speakers" or an
    attached stereo (THE only way to go, BTW), like music, but they
    are /very/ rare.

    IOW, I find you post very confusing.
    Maybe. You can also use headphones, you can get them for $3 or
    $5,000.
    Fairly irrelevant, unless this is a new only-one-person-in-the-
    world-affected Microsoft "feature".
    This question makes no sense - see my first paragraph. What the
    hell are "on board speakers"?

    That's no problem, and most people use that unless they are
    musicians or crazy gamers who need a 300 watt 13.3 sound system.

    See if you can explain exactly WHAT the problem is.

    I can see §nühw¤£f apparently understands you, but I do not.

    --
    Deep in the night
    Flying very strange cargo

    Gliding so far
    That the eye cannot follow
    Where do they go
    We'll never know...

    (B.F.)

    thanatoid, Dec 7, 2009
  4. s

    Jordon Guest

    I've got a fairly new HP computer and sound comes through
    the PC's speaker as if there were speakers plugged in.

    Jordon, Dec 7, 2009
  5. s

    s Guest

    I should have clarified. By sounds from the CPU, I meant
    sounds from the Integrated sound hardware on PC motherboards
    like a speaker intergrated on the motherboard.
    Not allowed in our office to use headphones. Else I would have
    suggested
    that.
    Not so irrelevant considering the link
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00820207#
    Yes, that link talks about no sound and I am hearing sound, but
    not from the monitor speakers which I what I want.

    It also mentions that model(HP xw6400) has a
    SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeMusic PCI Audio
    Card but it is not supported on Vista
    Well, I meant "internal speakers" by on board speakers. HP xw6400 has
    High Definition integrated audio with internal speaker
    as per http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12505_ca/12505_ca.PDF
    Again, why the model of the machine I posted is relevant. It also
    mentions
    something like "HP Silver Flat Panel
    Speaker Bar - Part
    number: EE418AA
    Powered directly by the monitor or the PC, the
    Speaker Bar seamlessly attaches to the monitor's
    lower bezel to bring full audio support to select
    HP flat panel monitors. "

    I don't know if the machine has the "Speaker Bar - Part
    number: EE418AA" or not which seems to be needed
    for using the monitor speakers, if I am reading it correctly.
    Now, have I explained it clearly enough?
    Sorry, I should have clarified more.

    Thanks for your reply and time.

    s, Dec 7, 2009
  6. s

    s Guest

    Does your computer have monitor speakers? If so, do you think
    the sound comes from them or an internal speaker integrated
    into the motherboard.

    s, Dec 7, 2009
  7. s

    thanatoid Guest

    oups.com:
    Read on, but I do not believe there has EVER been a NORMAL
    MARKET motherboard with a speaker IN IT.

    ON-BOARD AUDIO means a chip on the motherboard instead of a
    sound card, NOT a speaker on the MB.

    The ONLY speaker in your computer CPU box is the little beeping
    speaker. Unless you have one of those all-in one machines where
    terminology etc. can be confusing. For instance, laptops or some
    fancy Gateway and Sony (from a few years ago) computers had the
    MB and drives etc. IN the monitor (which was a little larger
    around the edges or thicker than it would have been otherwise).

    Still, those were just like the speakers you would have plugged
    in or put on the desk by the monitor, just cheap, small, without
    wires dangling all over, and sounding like crap. Don't even get
    me started on laptop "speakers". A new word should be invented
    for them.

    I skimmed over the whole page. NOWHERE does it mention any
    speakers on the "Motherboard". It DOES mention the Realtec High
    Definition Audio which is the ON-BOARD SOUND/AUDIO chip (AOT a
    separate sound card like the one 99% of computers have, a Sound
    Blaster of some flavor).

    There are 3 options for using the output of that chip.

    1. Normal cheap speakers.

    2. RCA connectors to plug into an amplifier with REAL speakers.

    3. A digital HDMI jack to connect an HDMI device like a big
    expensive LCD monitor with an HDMI input or a :home theater"
    monster.
    So the Blaster card is useless in your case. See if you can sell
    it, put it in your home computer, or something, or forget it
    exists.
    DL'd and checked relevant info.

    It DOES mention "integrated audio with internal speaker" on page
    2, as you know. However the speaker is NOT indicated on the
    diagram on page 1 and I do not see it anywhere.

    Also, on page 19 it mentions the 3 speaker options. "Internal
    speaker" is not one of them. Do you know why? Because manuals
    can be confusing. So far, I am certain the "internal audio with
    internal speaker" refers to the 2" beep speaker. It IS
    /theoretically/ possible that - this obviously being a very
    fancy machine - it re-directs the sound to that speaker if NO
    real speakers/amplifiers are connected to the unit. But I doubt
    it.
    Those are EXTERNAL SPEAKERS even though they are attached to the
    monitor and designed to match and look pretty. As I found out
    later (see below), they have a tiny power amplifier in them.
    Look 2" below your LCD screen. Do you see an extra piece of
    hardware attached, with 2 shapes formed by a bunch of little
    holes/very narrow vents on the two extremes? If you see it, you
    have the HP-made EXTERNAL speakers which attach to the monitor
    as per my previous paragraph.

    The ONLY speaker mentioned in "Technical Specifications" - which
    are usually accurate since most people don't bother reading them
    - so they say "chassis speaker", a 2" beeping speaker" instead
    of "integrated audio with internal speaker" which can be
    interpreted in a variety of ways.

    Hell, you can buy a 5" full range speaker or two and attach
    it/them to the powered audio output of a sound card/MB and using
    wires or plastic ties attach it/them inside the CPU tower. Then
    you WILL have internal speaker(s). But you do NOT have an
    internal speaker now. Trust me.

    In fact, in the "Serviceability Features of the System" on p. 30
    (ever read that section? ;-) they actually use the complete and
    correct term/description: "Internal speaker: Used for pre-boot
    diagnostic beep codes."

    OK, NOW it gets confusing.

    In "Tech specs - Audio" on p. 37, the bastards DO mention an
    "internal speaker" with a 1.5 W power rating. That's enough to
    play a guitar through and have your neighbors hear it if your
    window is open, BION. No "beep speaker" has ever had that kind
    of power rating. Now I AM a little confused. Still, WHERE is
    that damn speaker? It is not shown on the components diagram.
    And it should be about the size of a floppy drive.

    Also, the Realtec Audio chip does NOT appear to have a power
    amplifier built-in. Older computers and sound cards had a 2x2W
    amp built in usually, but since people started buying the
    ridiculous pieces of crap they refer to as "powered computer
    speakers" and/or plugging their computers into stereo systems
    (The only way to go) or 23.9 ultra home theater home systems,
    they have stopped including the amplifier since it saves them
    about 35¢ per card.

    In general, for future reference I might add that unless
    SOMEWHERE IN TECH SPECS - of ANY electronic piece of equipment -
    it says "(amplifier) power output: 2x20 W, (or 2x100 and 2x50W
    for subwoofer, or 7x100 W and 3x50 for 3 subwoofers, or 21x500W
    for 21 main speakers and 9x200W for 9 subwoofers - just wait, it
    WILL happen) there is NO AMPLIFIER IN THE SYSTEM AND NO SOUND
    WILL BE HEARD UNTIL YOU CONNECT ONE.

    "Audio output: line out: 0.7VMRS" in the DVD ROM section p. 56
    is LINE output - you can't HEAR it. PERHAPS with super sensitive
    headphones and if you're young enough to hear a cricket 500
    yards away. You have to AMPLIFY it. That's what the LINES (wires
    going from the out jack to the amplifier/amplified speakers) are
    for.

    On p. 73 it mentions the Silver Flat Panel Speaker Bar is
    "powered directly by the monitor or PC". I Googled for it - it
    has a ridiculous 2W audio amplifier in it, and apparently sounds
    "considerably better than the monitor speakers" some monitors
    have built /right inside the case/ but that's not saying much.

    If you have it and it is on and all the connections are correct
    (it should be plugged into audio out in the rear panel) then it
    is faulty or the CPU box audio section is faulty somewhere. Or
    the cable is bad. In my experience, "it's almost always the
    cable" and I always check the cables first - by getting the same
    cables from somewhere and changing them.

    ANYWAY...

    All along I have suspected that you have the 1/8" stereo
    connector plugged into the headphones socket. Check that it
    isn't so. Turn the volume down fairly low first or it could be
    unpleasant.

    If this is NOT the case, then UNINSTALL the Realtec audio
    entirely using Control Panel-hardware remove or whatever Vista
    calls it/wherever it may be.

    Then reboot and reinstall THE Realtec AUDIO **ONLY** from
    scratch, then follow the instructions as per

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&d
    ocname=c00820207#

    page. Make sure you have the under-monitor speaker panel or SOME
    kind of powered speaker or amplifier plugged into the rear audio
    OUT jack. Upon installation it should be set to default (which
    is some kind of powered speaker plugged into the back audio OUT
    jack) and should work.

    If it does not, plug headphones into the front headphone jack ON
    THE CPU BOX (tell the boss you're TESTING your machine and the
    headphones will stay on your head for less than 3 minutes if
    that) and see if you can hear anything.

    If you want, you can play with the settings as explained on that
    page but if you don't hear anything, then the chip may simply be
    bad or something is screwy inside the machine. Get a technician
    to help you.

    thanatoid, Dec 7, 2009
  8. s

    Jordon Guest

    It's the PC's speaker inside the case.

    Jordon, Dec 7, 2009
  9. s

    s Guest

    No, the troubleshooter could not resolve it and nothing was muted.
    How do I find this?

    Thanks for your help and time.

    s, Dec 8, 2009
  10. s

    s Guest

    thanatoid wrote:

    First, I appreciate your time and help. You are really very helpful.
    I am clueless on how the hardware is configured. I mean
    most laptops have don't have external speakers, but the sound comes
    from
    the CPU box for them so I guessed this might be the
    case for this machine.
    Yes, I knew that, but you can read below which makes me think there
    is a speaker or something due to which sound is coming from the
    CPU box not the speakers below the monitor.

    Off topic, but can you tell me how speakers are configured for
    laptops?
    Are they inside the CPU for them?

    Yes, I see the vents. Trouble is no sound comes from them and I want
    to know how can I hear from them. There is also a knob which can be
    rotated
    to control volume, but does not work here. It works for another
    machine
    running XP and having a HPL1940T monitor. The sound comes from the
    vents
    and can be controlled by the knob below the monitor.

    Yes, different monitor model, but that is what
    I wants to happen for this machine. To be able to listen from the
    vents as opposed
    to the CPU box which is what is occurring now.

    I do trust you.
    Ok, so what do you think is causing the sound to come from the CPU
    if there is no internal speaker inside the CPU box? What might it be
    and
    what is it called?
    Is that the green jack(Line-out connector) of the CPU rear panel?
    The computer has 3 rear audio connectors as shown at the
    link http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00820207

    Well, the cable from monitor goes into the green jack( Line-out
    connector (to front powered speakers or headphones)) and we can hear
    sound.
    So, I guess the cable is proper and so is the jack it is going into?
    We have 3 rear audio connectors

    1 - Microphone connector
    2 - Line-out connector (to front powered speakers or headphones)
    3 - Line-in connector

    Excuse my ignorance, but is the headphones socket
    in our case the Line-in connector(colored blue in the link
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00820207
    and is the 1/8" stereo connector the cable from monitor
    which should go into the green jack( Line-out connector) or something
    else?

    The cable in this case goes to the green jack.
    Question is if the onboard chip is bad, how can we hear sound
    from the CPU box now?

    You know a lot more than me about computer hardware and are trying to
    help me which I appreciate. Thanks for your advice and time.

    s, Dec 8, 2009
  11. s

    thanatoid Guest

    oups.com:
    You are very polite, I appreciate that.

    I won't tell /what/ just happened which made the reply I spent
    almost 2 hours writing evaporate, but I am not writing it again
    - I am only human. Send your work phone # to

    rmnd.cprATgmail.com

    and I will call you and walk you through it.

    1. "Computers are our friends"
    2. "With friends like this, who needs enemies?"

    thanatoid, Dec 9, 2009
  12. s

    s Guest

    My issue was defective monitor speakers. I connected to external
    speakers and I could listen fine. This is just so that someone who has
    an issue like me could benefit from this thread.

    A very kind poster on this thread helped me for which I am indeed
    grateful to that poster. Thanks again to that poster.

    s, Dec 10, 2009