    To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it.

    Why does it say "Windows cannot open this file"? It works fine in Internet
    Explorer. What do I need to do?

    Kurt Krueckeberg, Mar 16, 2005

  2. Kurt Krueckeberg

    Moz Champion Guest

    Can you be a little more specific on how you are invoking this file? I
    dont see anything called a guided tour on the page per se, do you select
    a region first?

    Moz Champion, Mar 16, 2005

  3. I opened it without any problems, but as well as shockwave I have a SWF
    player installed. It was sent to me so I don't have a URL for you, I
    suggest you do a Google for SWF players.

    [email protected], Mar 16, 2005
  4. Kurt Krueckeberg, Mar 16, 2005
  5. Kurt Krueckeberg

    Moz Champion Guest

    Not exactly what I was looking for <g>
    That gives me a site, and then downloads the .swf file, which then
    reports an error
    invalid media data in the movie (reported by Quicktime)
    Which is odd, because I have flash enabled and other flash sites play fine.

    The fact that it downloads a file, instead of activating the plug in
    suggests the server is not providing the proper mime type for the file.
    The proper mime type would launch my plug in.

    If I could locate the file on the web page, then I would be in a better
    position to say exactly what the problem is, but at the moment I am
    leaning toward incorrect mime setting on the server.

    Moz Champion, Mar 17, 2005
  6. The problem, of the shockwave/flash program not being invoked, can be
    reproduce by going to
    http://www.berlitz.us/Online/Instruction/bvcAnswers.htm and clicking on the
    link labeled 'Demo', which is
    in the last sentence of the third to last paragraph, the one entitled 'How
    does it work?'

    regards,
    Kurt

    Kurt Krueckeberg, Mar 18, 2005
  7. Kurt Krueckeberg

    Me & Guest

    Thats funny. FF works just fine for me to use Shockwave and Flash.
    On the other hand, I have not been able to get IE to use either of
    them for several years. Something got screwed up in IE and that was
    the end of it. Not that I really care, since I rarely ever use IE,
    and dont care for flash stuff anyhow.

    Me &, Mar 19, 2005
  8. Kurt Krueckeberg

    Moz Champion Guest

    Site error.
    Either the file is being served with the incorrect mime type, or the
    file itself is corrupt

    I would think its an incorrect mime type, because the file doesnt invoke
    the flash plug in as it should. The corrupt data in the error message
    may be because the program is attempting to use it as the mime type
    specified, and its actually a .swf file.

    Moz Champion, Mar 19, 2005