Cannot get Reuters Site

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kevin, Jan 17, 2004.

  1. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    Hi:

    I have a strange problem. When I click on any link to Reuters I get the
    windows message "some downloads can harm your computer...." If click OK to
    download it asked what program to use to open it. I pick windows Iexplorre
    and then get the "some downloads can harm" message again and so on and so
    on.

    I am running 98se and Norton Internet Security 2002. I have tried to put
    Reuters.com into the advanced options in Norton and allowing everything to
    no avail. If I disable Norton the page will load. Not just diabling ad
    blocking but Norton Internet security all together.

    Isn't it odd that Norton would cause a Windows message to pop up?

    Also, a couple of weeks ago Drudgereport.com would only load down to where
    it says drudgereport in big letters. That too would load if I disabled
    Norton. However no windows warning ever popped up. That problem seemed to
    just go away. I don't know if they are related.

    Any Ideas?

    Thanks,

    Kevin

    P.S. Even though my Norton account is up to date it seems I can not get
    support from them other than the knowlege base because I don't have the
    most current softwar.

    Kevin, Jan 17, 2004

  2. Kevin

    trout Guest

    I just tried http://reuters.com/; and Spybot S&D informs me that the
    site tries to download "Avenue A" (a spyware browser plug-in). I imagine
    that this is what's causing the problem.

    trout, Jan 17, 2004

  3. Kevin

    Jerry G. Guest

    Use http://www.reuters.co.uk/ for Reuters. Don't go to
    http://www.reuters.com I would think that the com one is a trap to unload
    a spyware, if I stand correct.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., Jan 17, 2004
  4. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    I have Spybot S&D so I undid immunize and uninstalled the perminently
    running bad download blocker. No help. Remember, disabling Norton allows
    the page to load but I searched Symantec's site and found no mention of
    avenue-a. I also put reuters.com and reuters.co.uk into the safe zone in
    IE but still no hope.

    I am at a loss.

    Kevin, Jan 17, 2004
  5. Kevin

    Boomer Guest

    A search with google came up with this (and a few others).
    http://help.isu.edu/disppage.php?doc_id=682&sec_id=40

    You might want to clean out your cookies, cache files etc.

    Boomer, Jan 17, 2004
  6. Kevin

    °Mike° Guest

    Reuters.com is a trap for spyware? It has much the same content
    as reuters.co.uk.

    °Mike°, Jan 17, 2004
  7. Kevin

    lsj7 Guest

    http://www.headliner.nl/

    click the link on the left that says "world" and fagetaboutit.

    --
    lsj7

    lsj7, Jan 17, 2004
  8. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    Hey that is a cool site, Thanks!

    BTW reuters.co.uk does not work for me either. Oh well.

    Thanks all for the advice.

    Kevin, Jan 17, 2004