    Any thoughts please?
    Regards,
    John

    John Orrett, Dec 29, 2006

  2. You may try a bootfloppy (www.bootdisk.com or a simple "format /s" selfmade
    one, just to test. Then, if that works, download xp bootfloppy set.
    If the computer has no more floppy, buy a usb floppy drive.
    Try some other bootable cd like you find them on comp magazines covers, like
    knoppix.

    Walter Mautner, Dec 30, 2006

  3. John Orrett

    Ben Myers Guest

    Try using the CD to boot a known good computer.

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Dec 30, 2006
  4. John Orrett

    John Orrett Guest

    Hi Ben, I tried that thanks, and the CD worked fine, so it must be
    hardware related.
    Regards,
    John

    John Orrett, Dec 30, 2006
  5. John Orrett

    John Orrett Guest

    Thanks Walter, I've downloaded a set of XP boot discs, and am borrowing
    a USB floppy from a friend tomorrow to try it.
    Fingers crossed!
    Regards,
    John

    John Orrett, Dec 30, 2006
  6. John Orrett

    Ben Myers Guest

    Please confirm that "worked fine" means that the "XP Media Edition disc"
    successfully booted the known good computer.

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Dec 30, 2006
  7. John Orrett

    John Orrett Guest

    Hi Walter, no joy I'm afraid :-(. I borrowed a USB floppy, but still
    just the flashing cursor. There is no activity from the floppy. I've
    tried all kinds of settings in the BIOS, but still nothing.
    I'm quickly losing the will to live with this one!
    Regards,
    John

    John Orrett, Dec 31, 2006
  8. Much deleted

    get a boot-able copy of a Linux distro put it in the Cd fdisk and
    format the system (for Linux)if the puter boots from the drive with
    Linux on it then you have resolved 1/2 the problem
    re-size the drive and reformat for XP remember to partition it
    according to their need

    you might be dealing with the 137 GB size limiter inherent in some
    windows Xp versions

    Knoppix comes to mind as a tool that might work best as a Linux version
    to try

    IconoclasticThinker, Dec 31, 2006
  9. John Orrett

    John Orrett Guest

    Thanks for the advice. I don't think the 137 GB limitation is relevant
    here, as the old HDD was 250GB and I'm replacing it with the same size.
    Unfortunately, I can't boot anything from the CD, so even trying to
    install Linux won't work. After the POST, nothing. I've removed the SATA
    HDD and booted, but it doesn't even give any error warning about no OS
    installed, just the flipping cursor!
    Best wishes,
    John

    John Orrett, Dec 31, 2006
  10. You may have to reset your bios. Either you can "load setup defaults" or you
    have to take out the battery for a while. After resetting, it really should
    be able to boot from a working cdrom or floppy.

    Walter Mautner, Dec 31, 2006
  11. John Orrett

    John Orrett Guest

    Hi Walter, I've reset the BIOS to default safe settings and removed the
    CMOS battery also, both without success.
    Maybe the board is US. As you say, it should be booting from one or the
    other.
    Regards,
    John

    John Orrett, Jan 1, 2007
  12. John Orrett

    John Orrett Guest

    Hi Walter, just an update - I removed the CMOS battery for a few hours
    and tried again. This time I got to the PCI status list, but it hangs on
    ACPI controller. I know this is when it's looking for a bootable device,
    but so far neither 2 CD ROM units or the USB boot floppy works.
    Ah well, I'll carry on trying!
    Regards,
    John

    John Orrett, Jan 1, 2007