Cannot get FastEthernet QoS working on 3550

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by j208, May 18, 2005.

  1. j208

    j208 Guest

    I need to lock down the bandwidth awailable to one port of a 3550. I
    understand the bandwidth command is present but non functional on the
    3550 but have not been able to have the port get any slower during
    testing.

    I'm trying to use 8000 bits per second to test and then increase the
    bandwidth once I've proved the configuration is working.

    None of the outputs below register any packets hitting the policy.

    Any help appreciated

    mls qos

    interface FastEthernet0/21
    switchport access vlan 251
    switchport mode access
    no ip address
    service-policy output 4contractors
    spanning-tree portfast

    policy-map 4contractors
    class class-default
    police 8000 8000 exceed-action drop

    Router#sh policy-map in fas 0/21

    FastEthernet0/21

    service-policy output: 4contractors

    class-map: class-default (match-any)
    0 packets, 0 bytes
    5 minute offered rate 0 bps, drop rate 0 bps
    match: any
    0 packets, 0 bytes
    5 minute rate 0 bpsqm_police_inform_feature: CLASS_SHOW

    Router#sh mls qos in fas 0/21
    FastEthernet0/21
    trust state: not trusted
    COS override: dis
    Attached policy-map for Egress: 4contractors
    default COS: 0
    DSCP Mutation Map: Default DSCP Mutation Map

    Router#sh class
    Class Map match-any class-default (id 0)
    Match any

    sh policy-map in fas 0/21
    sh mls qos in fas 0/21

    j208, May 18, 2005

  2. j208

    thrill5 Guest

    I don't know if you can rate-shape on a 3550, I believe you need a router to
    do this. But if you can, you can't do this while the port is configured as
    a VLAN interface. You need to assign the port an IP address so that it
    functions as a router port.

    Scott

    thrill5, May 23, 2005