Cannot Extract Driver File

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Lin, Oct 11, 2003.

  1. Lin

    Lin Guest

    Hello

    I have a Compaq Armada Laptop with Windows ME. The system became clogged up
    and slowed down, so I used System Restore to clear it out. There are two
    setup CD's. Everything went well with the first CD, it formatted the hard
    disk and restored what was on it. It then asked for disk 2. I changed them
    over, clicked OK but nothing happened, it wouldn't go any further. There
    was nothing else I could do but to take out the CD, hold down the power
    button to turn off, and restart. The machine loaded, and everything
    appeared normal apart from the graphics (only 256 colours) available. My
    local computer hardware store checked it and said the only think missing was
    the graphics driver. This they downloaded from Compaq's website and
    restored. I have tried to install a digital camera, and zip drive (via the
    usb port), and in both cases it cannot open the file:

    USBNTMAP.SYS

    The full location is: C:\Windows|System32|Drivers\USBNTMAP.SYS=Base2.Cab

    I have done a search using Windows, and the file comes up in the exact
    location. But don't know how to open and extract. I have searched Google,
    and printed off instructions via the Knowledge Database as to how to find
    the file and extract i.e. Start, Run, Msconfig, enter, general tab, click
    extract. When I do this it just says "file not found". The file appears to
    be on the system, but am unable to extract it. Have also explored the setup
    disks and it just says "file not found.

    Hope someone can help. Thanks

    Lin, Oct 11, 2003

  2. Lin

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Oct 11, 2003

  3. Lin

    Lin Guest

    Thanks Mike, I have already printed some of this information out, but have
    visited the website again and found further information on extracting files
    which should be useful.

    Lin, Oct 11, 2003
  4. Lin

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Oct 12, 2003
  5. Lin

    Plato Guest

    As an aside. If the compaq restore cDs are a problem, using a real ME cd
    and a fresh install most often gives you better results.

    Plato, Oct 12, 2003