Cannot erase DVD-RW

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Terry Pinnell, Oct 2, 2005.

  1. Terry Pinnell

    Frank Guest

    Yes, all of those are important factors, and I expect that the world
    will become significantly more complex with the introduction of HD DVD
    and Blu-ray Discs, with their various permutations.

    BTW, you forgot a very important item in your list, one which Anthony
    mentioned and which I have mentioned to you as well, and that's
    whether, when you use a given disc for the very first time, you start
    off in multi-session mode. I would strongly recommend that when
    burning a DVD-Video format disc you always do it as a single session
    disc - which may be the only available option anyway, but if not I
    recommend that it's that one you choose. Only if you're burning a
    DVD-ROM (data) formatted disc should you even consider use of
    multi-session and even then, once you're reached the point when you
    know that you'll never be adding additional files to the disc, you
    should close/finalize the disc.

    As Anthony mentions above, some software - and this includes Windows
    Explorer - will only see the first or the last session on a
    multi-session disc and not any of the files written to the disc during
    other recording sessions, so multi-session discs should generally be
    used with care.

    Frank, Oct 7, 2005

  2. Terry Pinnell

    Frank Guest

    Sorry, didn't mean to do that, really.
    I'm by no means expert in this area, as I've disabled Nero's ability
    to do packet writing on my systems by virtue of the fact that I've
    used MSConfig to disable loading of the Nero packet writing driver at
    boot-time. Thus, even though the InCD program itself is still
    installed, any attempt to use it fails with the issuance of an error
    message informing me that the required packet writing driver isn't
    loaded into memory.

    By using MSConfig to prevent the driver from loading at boot-time,
    I've effectively killed Nero's ability to use the facility.
    Yes and no. Packet writing, as far as I know, always uses the UDF file
    system but that isn't saying much because virtually all DVDs use the
    UDF file system, although there are some significant differences
    between various versions of UDF.
    Preventing the Nero packet writing driver from loading at boot-time is
    a big step and should prevent all of the programs contained within the
    Nero software package from using packet writing. Whether or not you
    have any other programs on your system which use packet writing and
    whether or not those other programs might or might not install their
    own packet writing drivers, I don't know. This is where the output
    from Nero InfoTool comes in handy.
    I wish I knew whether MemoriesOnTV uses packet writing, but I don't.
    I've never used the program.
    I would think that information would have to be gathered on a program
    by program basis.
    As far as I know they don't. If you're burning discs with MemoriesOnTV
    then maybe that's what's happening, I don't know.

    If MemoriesOnTV has the ability to write a DVD-Video image (the
    AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS directories and their contents) to your hard
    disk drive, then you might try that. Then use Nero Burning ROM to burn
    the actual disc (in DVD-Video format, of course) using the DVD-Video
    image (the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS directories and their contents) on
    your hard drive as the source. That way you're guaranteeing that
    packet writing isn't being used. A disc created in this manner,
    assuming that the media used isn't defective or somehow incompatible
    with your burner, should play just fine on your computer DVD drive and
    on most telly-attached DVD players as well.

    IsoBuster should also have the ability to read the contents of the
    AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS directories on your hard disk drive and burn it
    to a DVD+/- R/RW disc as well.
    No, single session or multi-session is a choice made when you first
    burn a given disc.
    Okay, I'll have to look that one up.
    Good chap!
    I wish that I could say that for all of us!
    If you had the full retail version of Nero 6 Ultra Edition, you would
    see the ability to select single session versus multi-session options
    when you first go to burn a disc. I'm not sure where to tell you to
    look in the OEM version that you're using. I haven't used an OEM
    version of Nero in several years. The last time I did it was a copy
    that I received bundled with a USB CD burner. Version 5.5.something as
    I recall.
    And I seem to recall seeing lots of reports a few years ago from a
    number of sources about how good Ritek discs were. The trouble is that
    even a single manufacturer can have multiple plants and produce discs
    of varying quality from those different plants, not to mention that a
    manufacturer can, and sometimes does, change dyes over time so that a
    brand of discs which worked well for a given person will suddenly not
    work so well the next time a new package of discs is purchased even
    when the individual involved (the victim, one might say) hasn't
    changed a single thing, hardware or software-wise on their system.
    Well it's just about establishing a workflow which has been shown to
    work, and then sticking to it, and not changing anything on your
    system which might upset the apple cart, such as installing a disc
    burning application which installs its own lower-level drivers which
    happen to conflict with one or more of the drivers already installed
    on the system, thereby breaking the system's ability to reliably burn
    discs and causing the grief and aggravation that you're experiencing.
    As mentioned, since I'm not familiar with MoT, I can't address it.
    Excellent. I sincerely hope that you get a technically accurate answer
    from them.
    I'll try, but I have a failing cooling fan in my primary system which
    I may have to attend to. The system has six internal hard disk drives
    so it's imperative that I keep it well ventilated.
    Understand. The steps I take are just to avoid problems later. I'm in
    New York and when I mail a disc to someone across the country in Los
    Angeles, for example, I don't want to receive an e-mail or a telephone
    call a few days later informing me that the disc isn't playable on
    their computer or their DVD player. While fully cognizant of the fact
    that this could happen regardless of any steps that I take, I none the
    less try to minimize the possibility.
    Yes, I totally agree, and unfortunately I really don't see it
    improving much, at least in the near term.
    I truly like your analogy. We should send a copy to all purveyors of
    DVD drives, DVD players, DVD burners, media manufacturers, etc., as if
    they would care. Ha!

    Frank, Oct 7, 2005

  3. Terry Pinnell

    pezoids Guest

    pezoids, Oct 7, 2005
  4. Do you mean this startup entry?
    C:\Program Files\ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
    I use other utilities instead of MSConfig to manage my startup
    entries, such as StartupCop and Startup CPL, as I prefer their user
    interfaces. (And changes don't invoke constant reminders that I'm
    doing something special <g>.) As mentioned earlier, I have disabled
    that for time being at least.

    BTW, I hadn't thought it would be involved in any DVD burning. I'd
    rather naively assumed it was simply enabling me to use my other
    drive, a CD RW drive, to copy and transfer files in a very convenient
    fashion. Rather like the similar built-in facility in WinXP itself,
    which I had vaguely understood to be inferior to inCD in some ways.
    Assuming the answer above is Yes, then so am I now. Any tests I report
    will be with inCD disabled. (I checked Task Manager to confirm it is
    no longer present in the Process list.) Of course, this means that I
    shall miss its convenience for a while. One use is shuffling stuff to
    and from my wife's XP PC and my shed/workshop W98 PC - although
    recently I've hit some sort of compatibility problems with both of
    those PCs. It seems astonishing to me that one version of inCD is
    apparently not reliably compatible with another!
    And IsoBuster? ("This is a packet written disc...")
    I've just had Codejam's reply to my specific query about that, and the
    answer is that it does not.
    See above.
    Could you possibly set me off on the right direction on doing that
    please? IOW, effectively using IsoBuster as a DVD player?

    I far prefer learning by doing, i.e. by practical examples, and so far
    I've not found IsoBuster's Help useful. Seems to assume I already
    *know* all the background and terminology! What I need is a set of
    step-by-step Beginners How To Guides. Such as 'How to try recovering a
    zapped disc', 'How to play a disc's contents', 'How to confirm beyond
    doubt that a disc is OK', etc.

    BTW, I now have some fresh DVD-RW and DVD+RW discs to experiment with.
    But I aim to take this fairly slowly, at least until I understand the
    *cause* of all my recent coaster-making failures.
    So what exactly do you mean by 'Close the session and re-test in
    IsoBuster' please? Do you mean
    - close IsoBuster
    - Open Nero Express (which is effectively just Nero Burning ROM 6 with
    a dumbed down interface)
    - Then do something...
    It seems pretty reliable.
    I just fixed a similar problem that seemed triggered by the addition
    of my third HD. (That's the last; no room for any more. Your case must
    be cavernous.) I removed the 60mm CPU fan, removed all the dust,
    peeled off the label on the fixed side, and gave the bearing a drop of
    light oil. That quitened it OK.

    Terry Pinnell, Oct 7, 2005
  5. Thanks. Have installed DVD Info Pro. This is the output I get for a
    disc labeled 'Verbatim DVD-RW 6X/2X', after burning something to it
    and then erasing it:

    Media Information
    ------------------
    Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
    Media code/Manufacturer ID MKM 01RW6X01
    Format Capacity Blank Disc
    Free Blocks 412352512
    Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
    Book Type DVD-RW
    Media Type DVD-RW
    Manufacturer Rated Speed Unknown
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
    Write Strategy Speed 2.0x 2770KBps
    Data area starting sector 30000h
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    Track Density 0.74um/track
    Number of Layers 1

    Do you think that looks a sit should?
    And I bought Verbatim as research indicated they were one of the best.
    So who is 'MKM'?

    Terry Pinnell, Oct 7, 2005
  6. Terry Pinnell

    JimK Guest

    MKM is Mitsubishi Chemicals (Top grade)
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

    Nero CDSpeed surface scan is a ok DVD tool for testing DVD burn
    quality. If you have a drive that can read P0/P1 errors, Nero CDSpeed
    quality test is a great tool.

    JimK, Oct 7, 2005
  7. OK, answered that myself an hour or two later thanks. The 'something'
    in Nero Express is to uncheck 'Allow files to be added later
    (multisession disc)'.

    Mind you, I'm not clear how I would 'close' an existing 'open' disc
    (i.e. one which had last used the multisession option), *without*
    burning another file? Is that possible in Nero Express? Or can I do it
    in either IsoBuster or DVD Info?

    Terry Pinnell, Oct 7, 2005
  8. Thanks, appreciate that fast reply.

    Terry Pinnell, Oct 7, 2005
  9. Thanks, understood. And as you probably saw from my earlier reply,
    I've now located the NX option to ensure single session.

    Terry Pinnell, Oct 7, 2005
  10. Hmm - I'm up for that, and that's normally my style of learning
    anyway, but I'd like *some* idea of the implications before I commit
    to a potentially 1-2 hour run! Especially as several earlier attempts
    to cancel proved ineffective. In some cases I had to forcibly reboot
    with PC Reset button. And the meanings of some menu items aren't that
    clear, nor what level they are being applied.
    I hadn't done so, no. But I've now retrieved it from bin and just
    tried that. The only understandable fragments of text (apart from lots
    of JPG filename) were like these:

    DVDVIDEO-VMG. (Presumably a format?)
    CODEJAM (Suppliers of MoT)
    PICTTOTV (Previous name)
    OSTA Compressed Unicode (?)
    AuthoringWare Co. USA (Developers of MoT?)

    I also tried the Run commmand on a VOB file. It got to 17% and then
    hung. Clicking Cancel got me out to a message that a certain sector
    couldn't be read, and asking if I wanted to delete the file.

    Back to the bin!

    Terry Pinnell, Oct 7, 2005
  11. Terry Pinnell

    Frank Guest

    Great (he says, as he watches fan spin-down again, giving it a push
    with his finger), you've found it.
    I would recommend that you do it in the program in which you've been
    writing to the disc. Using a different program may work just fine, but
    might also have the potential to introduce problems. If it were me, I
    would play safe and use the same program. I'm not certain if you need
    to add another file in order to close the disc. There may be an
    advanced option that permits closing without adding another file,
    please check - don't use any "wizard" which might limit the options
    presented to you.

    If my this system doesn't overhead, I'll try to respond to your other
    messages right away, else there will be a delay.

    Frank, Oct 7, 2005
  12. Terry Pinnell

    Frank Guest

    I can fully appreciate that.
    It was probably in extended error recovery mode and couldn't be
    interrupted. This can happen with a variety of I/O devices, even hard
    drives on occasion..
    The program expects you to be on expert on optical storage
    technologies. Is that too much to ask? :)
    Of course! It's the Video Manager, a standard part of the DVD-Video
    specification.

    The Unofficial DVD Specifications Guide - VMG Data Structures
    http://www.dvd-replica.com/DVD/vmgifo.php
    The OSTA is the Optical Storage Technology Association, my dear lad.
    Those are the friendly folks who are responsible for creating the
    so-called standards for much of this stuff.

    Optical Storage Technology Association
    http://www.osta.org/

    It's where you go to get the UDF specifications, for example.

    OSTA Universal Disk Format Specifications
    http://www.osta.org/specs/

    You can read a short article on their site about DVD compatibility, a
    subject close to the hearts of many.

    OSTA DVDCC Article
    http://www.osta.org/dvdcc/articles/compatibility.htm
    Yes, sounds like a bad disc.

    Frank, Oct 7, 2005
  13. Terry Pinnell

    Frank Guest

    My deepest apology. The above statement should have been written as
    follows:

    DVD Decrypter should also have the ability to read the contents of the
    AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS directories on your hard disk drive and burn it
    to a DVD+/- R/RW disc as well.

    Now that I've corrected a minor thing like the program name (!),
    you'll see that I was suggesting that you try DVD Decrypter as your
    *burning* program (instead of Nero Burning ROM), not as a "DVD
    player".
    Close the disc session in Nero. If the session is still open, you can
    still add new files to the compilation. If the disc is
    closed/finalized, nothing additional can be added, in which case you
    would have to erase the disc in order to write anything to it.

    I was suggesting closing the session in the event that playing discs
    with open sessions was a part of your problem.

    Frank, Oct 7, 2005
  14. Thanks for all your very helpful replies Frank. Hope you're having
    some success with your fan repair. I'm making steady progress, largely
    on the back of the help I've had here.

    I have yet to prove it conclusively, but it's beginning to look as if
    I can repair some of those 'bad' discs by using the Full Format
    facility in DVD Info Pro, the program pezoids recommended.

    Terry Pinnell, Oct 9, 2005
  15. Terry Pinnell

    Frank Guest

    You're very welcome, and I sincerely hope that you get this resolved
    to your satisfaction.
    Replacement is scheduled for later tonight/early tomorrow morning. I
    actually powered the system down before going to bed last night. First
    time that I've powered it down in about a year.
    This newsgroup can be an excellent resource at times. :)
    Great!

    Frank, Oct 9, 2005
  16. Terry Pinnell

    eurek

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Sorry to see this topic 6 years late :p, but in case someone read this (via Google or something), here is the solution I've found:

    Use Nero InCD to Quick Format, then Quick Erase

    http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/Data-CD-DVD-Burning/Nero-InCD.shtml

    Good Luck

    eurek, Jul 23, 2011