    How can I proceed please?

    Happy to provide any other details that might help isolate the
    problem.

    Terry Pinnell, Oct 2, 2005

  2. Terry Pinnell

    AnthonyR Guest

    Well, Terry
    When you say you tried to re-use it, did you just try to burn over it?
    Cause that won't work if it's already got data on it, it could cause the
    error you seen.
    Try finding an option called disc erase first, then wait while it erases the
    disc, do full erase if
    you have a problem. Then try burning on it again.
    Also make sure your dvd burner support the -RW format, it might not
    recognize - and only do +RW.
    That's about all I can think of to try first.
    Good Luck,
    AnthonyR.

    AnthonyR, Oct 2, 2005

  3. Thanks, but no, that's what I tried. Neither Nero Express nor
    MemoriesOnTV would complete their respective Erase Disc runs. Both
    gave 'Write Error'. And my DVD drive supports -RW.

    Terry Pinnell, Oct 2, 2005
  4. Since you have Nero and have the Smart Start front end, you might
    try the Extras tab - the extreme right icon. Under that there is a
    format disk. I don't know if this is the same as the one under
    Nero Express, but you might give it a shot.

    Bill

    Bill Vermillion, Oct 2, 2005
  5. Terry Pinnell

    Mike Kujbida Guest

    A utility called Super Blank from http://www.infinadyne.com/super_blank.html
    has saved me when all else has failed.

    Mike

    Mike Kujbida, Oct 2, 2005
  6. Terry Pinnell

    Otter Guest

    toss it and pick up a new one. They're not that expensive. I mean is
    it worth spending several days trying to erase a $3 disc that fails
    every time you try?

    -Otter

    Otter, Oct 3, 2005
  7. I have, of course, used another DVD-RW to record my DVD. But I hate
    unsolved puzzles <g>. Also, who knows, maybe this is a symptom of some
    underlying problem?

    Terry Pinnell, Oct 3, 2005
  8. Thanks. Looked promising, but that too seems to have failed. Not
    entirely sure how to interpret it (no Help?). I inserted the disc and
    ran the program, pressing no buttons. After about a minute of progress
    under 'Auto Blank' the large Drive button turned red and the 'Blank'
    button changed to 'Clear', with a red X on it. Can you translate that
    for me please?

    Is there any program that will actually give me a definitive statement
    along the lines of 'This disc is unusable because of xxx.' ?

    Terry Pinnell, Oct 3, 2005
  9. Terry Pinnell

    Frank Guest

    If it was me, I would probably just discard the disc as one which has
    simply "gone bad" (diskettes often do the same thing).

    If I wanted any further information about the disc and its condition,
    I would run it through ISOBuster, doing a surface scan on the entire
    disc to see what it reports.

    http://www.smart-projects.net/

    Frank, Oct 3, 2005
  10. Thanks, downloading that now.

    Terry Pinnell, Oct 3, 2005
  11. Possibly the previous burn was never concluded properly. Try adding on
    a small additional file as though this were a multisession disk.
    Likely won't work, but hey...

    Maureen Goldman, Oct 3, 2005
  12. Terry Pinnell

    AnthonyR Guest

    Hey Terry,
    If you got another one to work and were able to erase that one, then all is
    ok with your software and system. Just a bad disc.
    Sort of how HD develop bad sectors but the software can isolate them and
    continue to use them, probably the disc had a
    problem in manufacturing that didn't show up till now, or maybe it got
    scratched?
    Or bent or some other trauma that left it unreadable.
    The surface scan with ISO buster sounded like a good idea, anything show up?
    AnthonyR.

    AnthonyR, Oct 3, 2005
  13. Thanks, yeah, I'm about ready to write that one (#1) off.

    But I now have at least one other DVD-RW (same type) which looks
    zapped. Call it #2. However, #2 has me really puzzled, because it was
    definitely OK earlier today (I'd played its contents). I had tried to
    erase #1 using Super Blank, and that had failed as I described in my
    reply to Mike. So, to learn how a 'good' DVD-RW would be handled, I
    ran that in Super Blank too. But *that* failed in exactly the same way
    #1 had (after 42 secs versus #1's 54 secs). That has me worried that
    Super Blank itself is another problem. A side issue, but certainly
    complicating matters. I don't feel like risking another of my DVD-RWs
    (I only have 9 in total) so I'd be interested in any comments, or
    reports of similar problems with that program please. I cannot now
    burn a data file to #2 with Nero Express.

    I am now 'running' #2 with Iso Buster. Don't really understand what
    I'm doing here you realise (!) but I used its 'Find missing files'
    command and FWIW it's showing this:
    "Expanding UDF tree (found so far)
    Reading all sectors
    Sanitising found data"

    About 37% through after 20 mins, so it's a slow process. Can anyone
    tell me what I'm supposed to do when it finishes please?

    Terry Pinnell, Oct 3, 2005
  14. Thanks Maureen. Could you amplify a bit, as I'm not really clear about
    this multi-session stuff. If I burn with Nero Express, it will
    presumably try to *replace* whatever is on the DVD-RW with the new
    source material? And that's what I would normally want to do with a
    DVD-RW, yes? So, how would I attempt to *Add* instead of Replace
    please?

    Terry Pinnell, Oct 3, 2005
  15. Terry Pinnell

    Frank Guest

    Run a Surface Scan. Right-click on the first item in the left-hand
    pane and there should be a "Surface Scan" or "Check Surface" or
    something like that option available to you (sorry, all of the systems
    here with ISOBuster are busy at the moment and can't be interrupted,
    but you'll recognize the wording in the menu when you see it).

    I would also suggest, if you haven't done so already, that you re-boot
    your computer. I've on occasion seen this clear up problems with
    reading/writing DVDs on some systems.

    Good luck and hope this helps.

    P.S. I believe in another message you asked about replacing versus
    adding to a compilation. These are both functions which Nero can
    perform. In my case, generally, I'll keep adding files to a
    compilation until the disc is almost full and then switch to another
    disc. When I no longer need any of the files on the first disc, I
    erase it (in Nero) and start over with a new compilation on that disc.
    I keep ten DVD-RW discs and ten DVD+RW discs around just for this
    purpose. I also use both -RW and +RW media to check-out DVD-Video
    projects, as this way I'm not wasting a -R or +R disc if I don't like
    the results. Note that set top DVD-Video players will usually not play
    a disc which hasn't been finalized. Also note that if you wish to
    modify a disc's contents in any way, you must initially start off
    writing to that disc in multisession mode. I never use packet mode
    writing, by the way. Just a personal quirk, I suppose. I don't like
    having the extra drivers loading into the system at boot-time.

    Again, Terry, good luck to you with this.

    Frank, Oct 3, 2005
  16. Thanks, Frank, appreciate your help. I'll get back onto the case
    tomorrow.

    Terry Pinnell, Oct 3, 2005
  17. Terry Pinnell

    RS Guest

    To play a disk on another computer, you have to typically 'finalize' it.
    But if your going to use it just on your computer, you can do multi
    session, which means you can put some data on, then decide later to put
    some more on without having to erase what's already there.

    RS, Oct 3, 2005
  18. I use Nero Burning ROM, which presents the choice each time of a
    single session with the DVD finalized or a multisession with
    additional material to be added later. Nero really shouldn't add on
    anything else unless you designated multisession at the onset of your
    ill-fated last burn, but at this point you have nothing to lose in
    trying. If it will add something on, and you can designate the
    situation as final, then you might be able to re-use the disk.

    That being said, I sure wouldn't trust it for some time unless I had
    an additional backup.

    As others have said, rewriteables are awfully cheap.

    Maureen Goldman, Oct 3, 2005
  19. Thanks both. Have ordered another batch while continuing to
    experiment.

    Because of my nervousness now about whether some of my software is
    actually *causing* 'write errors' (see earlier post), I'm having to
    copy the remaining 'good' ones before risking testing them. Tedious!

    Terry Pinnell, Oct 4, 2005
  20. Terry Pinnell

    RS Guest

    Do you have more than one burning software on your system? Its not
    necessarily a red flag, but there have been reports of conflicts in the
    past. In fact, a few years ago, I had a similar thing happen. Had Record
    Now and Nero and kept having problems. Deleted Record Now and suddenly
    problems gone.

    RS, Oct 4, 2005