    management" but I cannot assign a drive letter. As far as I know, the hard
    drive and cables are functioning. Why can't I access my second/slave hard
    drive? Do I have to reformat the drive and lose all of my saved information?

    Guest, Oct 22, 2007

  2. If I get this right, you had your old 32bit XP on the the same physical HD
    that you later used to partition, format and install your 64bit XP?

    Your second HD did not have any installed system - only data?

    If so, I suggest having a look in Computer Management > Disk Management and
    look under Menu Item 'Action' - it has an option to rescan for disks. What
    happens then?

    In the event that your C:\ drive is IDE while the 'other' is SATA you may
    have to get a 64bit SATA driver that complies with the chipset, (usually a
    RAID/SATA chip) I assume you may have had one such driver for your 32bit
    system, but this will not work here, everything on the old system that
    needed a driver will have to have a 64bit driver now.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 22, 2007

  3. Guest

    Andy Guest

    Is the second drive dynamic?

    Andy, Oct 23, 2007
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Tony,

    Your listed assumptions are correct:

    "you had your old 32bit XP on the the same physical HD that you later used
    to partition, format and install your 64bit XP?"

    "Your second HD did not have any installed system - only data?"

    "In the event that your C:\ drive is IDE while the 'other' is SATA"

    I followed your suggestion and went into Disk Management to rescan for disks
    and nothing happened. Due to software compatability problems, I switched
    back to XP 32-bit last night. I still have the same problem of not detecting
    my second hard drive. After reading some similar problems I have come to the
    conclusion that I need to install drivers from a 3.5 inch floppy that came
    with my motherboard. This involves booting up and hitting F6 key to load the
    drivers. Is this the correct course of action and can I use a CD with these
    same files? With my motherboard (DP35DP) I cannot install an internal 3.5
    inch floppy drive and I don't want to buy an external drive if I can avoid it.

    Thanks,
    Ian

    Guest, Oct 23, 2007
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Andy,

    The second drive is basic and not dynamic.

    Thanks,
    Ian

    Guest, Oct 23, 2007
  6. Hi Ian,

    generally if someone has a problem and a specific preference, the problem
    prevents the preference (or the preference prevents solving the problem) -
    in your case your preference is the natural way out of the predicament.

    Since you will be installing to the IDE drive you don't need to have the
    SATA driver present to the installer, and since you don't have a floppy
    drive you can install the driver from your HD later to make the SATA drive
    become visible. That is, if it isn't recognised automatically when you
    install the drivers from the system CD? This goes for the 32bit system.

    If you want to have your 64bit system installed at some point, using the
    exact same machine and configuration you can do the same thing, only with a
    64bit driver for the SATA. It is really only when you install an OS onto the
    SATA drive that you need the driver on a floppy - and yes, it has to be a
    floppy since the installer is a very simple program that isn't aware of any
    CD's, nor can it use the HD's at this point for anything except installing
    itself. Also, in the event that you should want to install onto the IDE but
    using it as the second drive and the SATA drive first, you will need to make
    the installer aware of that first drive.

    A lot more could be said, but I think this pretty much sums up the
    situation. But do consider having a USB Floppy drive, they are not expensive
    and they can save the day on many occasions.

    Good Luck, now!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 23, 2007
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks Tony, I'll let you know how it goes.

    Ian

    Guest, Oct 23, 2007
  8. Guest

    andy Guest

    If the drive appears in Disk Management, then the physical drive is
    being detected. If you can't assign a drive letter to the partition on
    the drive, then the problem is some kind of corruption with the
    partition. Try running a partition repair program or a file recovery
    program.

    andy, Oct 23, 2007
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Tony,

    The use of a 3.5 external floppy drive to install drivers was unsuccessful.
    I made a restore point on my computer and then deleted the partition on
    unnamed HD. Now I can label and work with the drive. I plan on going back
    and recovering my data prior to the deletion. Thanks for the help.

    Ian

    Guest, Oct 24, 2007
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Andy,

    I believe there was a problem with the partition. I made a restore point
    and then deleted the partition. Everything works fine now. I will go back
    and recover the data.

    Thanks,
    Ian

    Guest, Oct 24, 2007