    xxx.tmp directory behind that can't be deleted -- even after I rebooted the
    PC.

    Help!

    dwåcôn, Sep 14, 2005

  2. dwåcôn

    see.cher Guest

    see.cher, Sep 14, 2005

  3. dwåcôn

    Toolman Tim Guest

    And with all the time you spend in this newsgroup, you don't know how to
    look for answers already given to common problems?

    Toolman Tim, Sep 14, 2005
  4. dwåcôn

    ~misty Guest

    The help given to me in a recent thread was to shut off my system restore
    and then delete the leftover stuff. Worked perfectly! Don't forget to turn
    System Restore back on after you are done!

    ~misty, Sep 14, 2005
  5. P.S. Shorten your signature. The trailing 9 blank lines are superfluous and
    require respondents to edit your post (more than they should have to).

    Try rebooting into Recovery Console mode. If you don't have it installed or
    know how to run from the installation CD, use Start -> Help and Support to
    lookup "recovery console".

    When you say "can't be deleted", that says NOTHING as to what error you
    received when you try to delete. Is the error "file in use"? If so, some
    process still is using that file by the time you get around to trying to
    delete it. You can use the handle.exe utility from SysInternals to see
    which process has an open file handle on that file. Otherwise, and if it is
    explorer.exe itself (which is always running because it is used for the
    desktop GUI process), try the following:

    - Open Task Manager and display the Processes panel. Leave it open until
    told to close it later.
    - Kill all instances of the explorer.exe process.
    - The desktop GUI will disappear.
    - Use the File -> New Task in Task Manager to open a DOS shell (run
    "cmd.exe").
    - In the DOS shell, navigate to the path for the problematic file and then
    use the "del" command to delete it.
    - Enter "exit" in the DOS shell to close it.
    - In Task Manager, use the File -> New Task to start a new instance of
    "explorer.exe".
    - The desktop GUI reappears.
    - Close Task Manager.

    Vanguard \(NPI\), Sep 14, 2005
  6. dwåcôn

    Plato Guest

    http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#8

    Plato, Sep 14, 2005
  7. dwåcôn

    Plato Guest

    My daughter gets kicks out of driving through the EZpass lanes w/o a
    pass/transponder.

    The "ticket" gets mailed to me of course, with a picture of the back of
    her car.

    She always pays me the $20. I think she just likes to see me get red in
    the face :)

    Plato, Sep 14, 2005
  8. dwåcôn

    Toolman Tim Guest