Cannot create new folder on desktop

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Cindy Stuart, Jun 4, 2007.

  1. Cindy Stuart

    Cindy Stuart Guest

    i cannot create a folder directly on the DESKTOP the normal way. i get the
    dialog box,
    "Unable to create the folder 'New Folder' There are no files."

    i am able to use a dos cmd window to create a folder on the Desktop, or i
    can create a folder anywhere else -using the normal left click then right
    click, then draging folder or cutting and pasting it to the desktop.
    However, if a folder exists on my desktop, i'm able to create a new folder
    inside of
    that one (using the mouse).

    i've already checked permissions. i'm wondering what it means when it says,
    'there are no files'.
    i'm using xp pro and my system seems stable.

    i have firewall zonealarm pro and anti virus kaspersky 6.0.2.621 running and
    i do periodic checks with ad-aware..

    anyone have any ideas!?

    tia

    Cindy Stuart, Jun 4, 2007

  2. Cindy Stuart

    Pennywise Guest

    You can use Process Monitor to find out why,
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspx

    Use the filters, This sounds like an Explorer problem so filter
    everything but explorer from listing - keeps output slow.

    Pennywise, Jun 4, 2007

  3. Cindy Stuart

    Pennywise Guest

    Not slow, but to a manageable level

    Pennywise, Jun 4, 2007
  4. Cindy Stuart

    Evan Platt Guest

    How many times do you intend to ask this?

    Keep it in one thread.

    Subject: unable to create the folder "new folder: no new files
    From: "Cindy Stuart" <>
    Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 14:38:45 GMT