Cannot connect two computers via ad hoc wireless connection!

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by MS, Aug 30, 2004.

  1. MS

    MS Guest

    I have two laptops, both running Windows XP Pro. One was recently upgraded
    to SP2. The other had all the recent updates not including SP2.

    They both have PC card wireless cards--one D-Link (only b), the other
    Netgear (b&g).

    I do not have an access point. I would just like to connect the two
    computers occasionally to transfer files, etc. In other words, an "ad hoc"
    connection.

    File sharing is enabled on both computers, in the root directory of the boot
    drive, for the whole drive.

    I can sometimes get it so both computers say they are connected to the
    "default" network, In looking at the status windows of these connections,
    both say that they have sent data, but received nothing, 0 bytes.

    I can find no way to access the hard drive of the other computer. In "My
    Computer", "Tools", I click "Map Network Drive", but no network drive is
    found, that can be mapped to a drive letter.

    I tried the new "Set up Wireless Network" (or whatever it's called) applet
    on the SP2 computer, but that is apparently only for infrastructure
    connections, not for ad hoc connections like I am trying to create.

    Is there anyone reading who could give me any advice, on how to get this to
    work? I would appreciate it very much. Thank you.

    MS, Aug 30, 2004

  2. MS

    A-Design Guest

    A-Design, Aug 31, 2004

  3. Hans-Georg Michna, Aug 31, 2004
  4. Andy Anderson, Aug 31, 2004
  5. Andy Anderson, Aug 31, 2004
  6. Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows], Aug 31, 2004
  7. Hans-Georg Michna, Aug 31, 2004
  8. MS

    MS Guest

    Thanks for the article, Barb. I'll go through it step by step, and see if I
    can get it working.

    In the meantime, with my trying to get it to work, my wireless connection to
    my printer doesn't work any more.

    I have a wireless printer server (D-Link DP-311U) (USB), had it connected to
    my printer, set up as an ad-hoc connection to my computer (which being a
    laptop, is not always near the printer, so the wireless link is handy). This
    wireless connections worked before, but doesn't know. I don't know what I
    did to make it stop working, but probably something in my changing settings
    in order to try to make a wireless ad-hoc connection between the two laptops
    (which I never got to work), I messed up what had been a successful wireless
    connection to the printer, and can't get that to work again. I hope I get
    that working again too.

    MS, Sep 1, 2004
  9. MS

    hans Guest

    I do not have an access point. I would just like to connect the two
    Hi, i have had the same experiences.

    I have spend months trying to get this to work.
    Of the many attempts I have succeeded twice, able to see the
    hard drive from one computer to the other. Not the other way
    round. I could read files an FTP.

    My impression is that this part of the software is under
    developed, or parts missing.

    Main problems is regarding ip-addresses.
    I had a LAN address of 10.0.0.138 for the modem/router
    so everything is based on this network address.

    When your wireless card is looking for a transmitter, sees
    the signal, tries to get connnected and doesn't see a HDCP
    server it set up one of its own addresses, 169.154.something
    class B.
    Then, with this you can try as long as you want but it will
    never work. So first step is to be sure the settings are
    correct. Force addresses by manual setting.
    -------
    Next the matter of the channel. Could they be on the same
    channel? I don't think so, but who finds whom first?
    Is the first one serving as a mini-AP?
    -------
    I never switched on ICS. It is not needed.
    ---------
    There are many other problems, often I went mad...

    What helps are netstumbler, [email protected], lanspeed2, netinfo,
    and Net activity diagram
    You can download this stuff free at cnet.com
    ---------
    Anyway I gave up. In the end it not is not worth while.
    Why debug silly software? For 60 euro you can have an AP.
    With an AP it works immediately. Stop wasting your time.
    "Ad hoc" is ill designed and unlikely to work (all test were
    in windows xp, both)

    hope this helps....
    hans

    hans, Oct 3, 2004