cannot connect to router logon screen

Discussion in 'Wireless Networks' started by Jeff, Aug 25, 2010.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    This involved a home wireless G network that includes 3 PCs, 2 running
    XP and one running Windows 7. There are 2 routers connected to each
    other by cable to extend the range. The problem router is a SMCWBR14-G.
    The wlan was set up years ago and runs fine and connects fine to the
    internet via Cox cable.

    My problem is that I cannot access the SMC router's logon screen. When I
    try to reach 192.168.2.1 with either IE8 or Firefox 3.1.2 on any of my
    PCs, I get "waiting for response" until finally the connection resets.
    This happens whether I use a direct cable connection or try wireless and
    both with the PCs using XP or Windows 7.

    Yet the router works and connects to the internet just fine on all these
    PCs!

    I finally found an old laptop I had not used for years, a Dell Inspiron
    8100 running Windows XP and it connects and opens the logon screen even
    wirelessly just fine. But I need to be able to access the logon screen
    from another more recent PC.

    I've played around with various settings, disabled my firewalls, all to
    no effect. I suspect the problem may be that my current PCs use ips of
    192.168.1.xx (because of my main router) while the Dell is a 192.168.2.xx

    I really do not want to mess around and change with the ips on my
    current PCs and possibly mess up my current wlan and internet access. Is
    there a way around this access problem?

    Thank you.

    Jeff, Aug 25, 2010