    searching for an IP address, it has 0.0.0.0. on the left column and won't
    connect. I need HELP!!!!! I'm using it with my cable modem no problem.
    Please help, going crazy trying to fix this,

    Guest, Oct 13, 2006

  2. Guest

    Malke Guest

    Things to check:

    1. Can any other wireless computer connect to the Internet on your
    network? If no, the router needs to be replaced.

    2. Can your computer connect to anyone else's wireless network? If no,
    the wireless adapter needs to be replaced.

    3. I assume that when you say "I'm using it with my cable modem no
    problem" this means that you've connected the laptop to the cable modem
    directly with ethernet to make sure the cable modem works. Or you've
    connected another machine directly to the cable modem. If you haven't
    done this, you need to in order to make sure the fault isn't with the
    cable modem.

    Before you go further with troubleshooting as above, power-cycle the
    router (not necessary to do the cable modem unless you don't know it is
    working per item #3 above). Unplug the router for about a minute and
    then plug it in again. If you haven't done #3, then power-cycle the
    cable modem, too. Unplug the cable modem and the router, leave them
    both off for about 30-60 seconds. Then plug the cable modem in first
    and wait for all the lights to come on. Then plug in the router.

    Malke

    Malke, Oct 13, 2006

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Yeah i plugged the modem cable directly into my laptop and is working and my
    bro's comp. is working no prob on the wireless router. I've also tried
    unpluggin it twice and still no go. Both of them Router and modem. The router
    is farely new as well, not even a year. It's a d-link. Any other
    suggestions:...

    Guest, Oct 13, 2006
  4. Guest

    Lem Guest

    What about Malke's suggestion #2? But before you tote your laptop down
    to the nearest Starbuck's or MickyD's, make sure that the wifi adapter
    in the laptop is really turned on. Many laptops with built-in wifi
    adapters permit the radio in the wifi adapter to be turned off to
    conserve power. Typically, there is a small (usually difficult to find)
    switch or some combination of the Fn key with another key. Check your
    laptop manual for details.

    Lem, Oct 13, 2006
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi, tried to find it but no luck with the manual, couldn't find anything on
    it. I have a wireless LAN button to disable the connection. But that's on.
    Everytime I try to connect is stays on "Aquiring Network addy" and then I try
    to repair, and it gets stuck on "renewing IP address". I'm going crazy, it's
    been about 4 days now. I've never had a problem this long before. Very
    frustrating.......

    Guest, Oct 13, 2006
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    So i've figured out it must be my router at home, cause i've just connected
    no problem at my sister's place. So what do I do now that I know it's my
    router at home?

    Guest, Oct 13, 2006
  7. Guest

    Lem Guest

    Well, because you said that your bro's computer worked OK using the
    wireless router, it's probably not really the router, but rather some
    security setting that's become undone.

    I don't think you ever said what kind of wireless router you have, but
    if it has at least one Ethernet jack (besides the one that connects to
    the cable modem) what happens when you connect the laptop to the router
    via Ethernet?

    Lem, Oct 13, 2006
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Just Use The modem wntil this rain goes away. Sweeity

    Guest, Oct 14, 2006
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Gee, thanks for the great advice!!!