Cannot connect laptop wirelessly

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Stuart Grant, Mar 27, 2008.

  1. Stuart Grant

    Stuart Grant Guest

    It seems to be a common problem but after reading other responses I still
    cannot connect a Dell laptop to my WiFi network.
    I have a small network with 2 Desktop PCs, and a wireless enabled printer.
    Works fine. The network is protected with WPA2-PSK. I want to add a Dell
    laptop to the network. It does not have a built-in wireless card so I bought
    a D-Link DWL G650 plug in card. Installed the software from the CD, shut
    down, switched off, inserted card, switched on and tried to connect. Te
    card seems to be working fine, flashing lights etc.. I looked on Network
    Connections - Wireless Networks on the laptop, added WIHOME and set the
    security to WPA2-PSK and entered the network key. But I still cannot get it
    to connect.
    It finds the WIHOME network at the top of the list but when I press Connect,
    it reports "connecting to wireless network" but after two minutes reverts to
    the previous screen listing available networks.
    I thought that the obvious answer must be that made an error entering the
    network key but NO, it is correct.
    What can the problem be ? All computers use Windows XP with SP2. The lap
    top is in the same room as the Access point (Linksys), and I have connected
    it temporarily with an Ethernet cable. Works fine but I want to move the
    laptop around the apartment.
    Stuart

    Stuart Grant, Mar 27, 2008

  2. Stuart Grant

    Axel Dahmen Guest

    Hi Stuart,

    hmmm, have you tried disabling WPA and displaying the SSID at the Access Point? If you are able to connect then, there may be something wrong with the pass phrase you've entered.

    At least, after this procedure you knew that you actually can connect. Enabling security features one after the other might lead you to the actual problem then.

    HTH,
    www.axeldahmen.de
    Axel Dahmen

    Axel Dahmen, Mar 27, 2008

  3. Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 27, 2008
  4. Stuart Grant

    Scot65 Guest

    I too have been fighting this problem...

    First make the router visible and without any security.
    You should be able to connect now.
    Then add WPA.
    When trying to access the router, you will now need the password.
    Once you establish the connection, hide and secure the router.
    My D-Link router and card had no problem re-establishing the connection here.

    Another possibility is to disable the "Let Windows Manage the connection"
    checkbox since you are now using an 'exterior' wireless card. It is located
    in the "Wireless Connection" tab.

    Hope this helps.

    Scot65

    Scot65, Mar 27, 2008
  5. Stuart Grant

    Stuart Grant Guest

    Thanks Axel. Your first suggestion did not work exactly but I managed
    finally connect and the D-Link Utility shows it connected with strength 90%,
    correct channel etc.etc. but now it hangs at "Obtain IP address". The DHCP
    on the Rooter/Access Point works satisfactorily. I have had to repair the
    connection to the second desktop several times and it always provides one
    and the laptop is set to provide IP Address automatically. Any idea what
    can still be wrong ?

    Stuart

    Stuart Grant, Mar 31, 2008
  6. Stuart Grant

    Axel Dahmen Guest

    Hi Stuart,

    I didn't understand your last post, I'm afraid. Would you mind describing your current problem again?

    Regards,
    Axel

    Stuart Grant, Apr 9, 2008
  8. Stuart Grant

    Stuart Grant Guest

    Hi Axel

    Sorry to be so long in coming back.
    The lap top now shows "Connected to the Network WIHOME". The wireless card
    in the Laptop is from D-Link and the D-link utility when I click on it shows
    connected with signal strength 90%.

    Problem is that it hangs at acquiring an IP address. The IP address should
    be provided by the Linksys router which has DHCP enabled. It supplies the
    address automatically to the other computer and the printer. The laptop is
    set to "Acquire an IP address automatically".

    Why doesn't it ?

    Stuart

    Stuart Grant, Apr 9, 2008
  9. Stuart Grant

    Barb Bowman Guest

    first, do you have the latest driver for the D-Link G650 from their
    site? which hardware rev of the card? Second, have you tried
    disabling the D-Link utility and connecting with Windows built in
    features?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Apr 9, 2008
  10. Stuart Grant

    Stuart Grant Guest

    Barb

    Thank you for jumping in. As far as I know I have the latest driver.
    The hardware rev is C4
    Yes I have tried using the Windows built in features. Still no progress.

    Stuart

    Stuart Grant, Apr 10, 2008
  11. Stuart Grant

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Apr 11, 2008
  12. Stuart Grant

    Stuart Grant Guest

    Thank you for your further recommendations.

    I appreciate your advice and recognise your credentials as an expert on
    wireless networks. Nevertheless I don't think I will take your advice.

    I upgraded the firmware on the router some weeks ago. It is working fine.
    While I would like to get the laptop on the network, it is much more
    important to have the two desktops and the printer which are functioning
    well and I don't want to reset the router to factory defaults and reinstall
    unless you can tell me that you know that a recent firmware upgrade
    specifically addressed a known fault which prevented the Linksys wag54gs
    from assigning IP addresses.

    Thank you anyway.

    Stuart

    Stuart Grant, Apr 15, 2008
  13. Stuart Grant

    Barb Bowman Guest

    you might want to check the Linksys forum on dslreports.com

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Apr 15, 2008
  14. Stuart Grant

    Axel Dahmen Guest

    Hi Stuart,

    this time it's me who didn't reply for a long time... ;) Sorry for that.

    Have you tried disabling DHCP on your router and setting a fix IP address to your laptop's network configuration? Your laptop's IP address should be the same as the one you've configured on your router, except for the last number which must be different (somewhere between 2 and 253). Does this work?

    Probably you won't be able to use DNS with this configuration unless you enter your provider's DNS IP addresses into your laptop's network configuration as well. So if you don't know the IP addresses of your favourite websites, you might just want to try these:

    http://207.46.197.32/ = http://www.Microsoft.com/
    http://62.75.136.138/ = http://www.Yacht-Charter.com/

    Please keep me informed on your progress. I'm quite sure we can get your hardware to work.

    Best regards,
    www.axeldahmen.com
    Axel Dahmen

    --------------------

    Axel Dahmen, Apr 16, 2008
  15. Stuart Grant

    crazyray

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    When I select EAP type Protected EAP(PEAP) I press the properties button and nothing happens

    crazyray, Apr 17, 2008
  16. Stuart Grant

    Stuart Grant Guest

    Hi Axel

    Very good of you to come back and try to help.

    I am pretty sure that I tried assigning a fixed IP address in one of many
    attempts to connect but I am willing to try again. Last time I did not
    disable DHCP on the router. Does it mean that I would have to assign fixed
    IP addresses also to the two desktops and the printer on the network ?
    Sometimes the other laptop and the printer lose their connection but it can
    be repaired and DHCP assigns the same addresses as before. It works without
    problems. That's what baffles me.

    Stuart Grant, Apr 17, 2008
  17. Stuart Grant

    Axel Dahmen Guest

    Ah, I see... That's interesting news! So the DHCP server actually seems to work. It's just your laptop's WLAN card that's not correctly acquiring an IP address.... Hmmm...

    Well, in that case you don't have to turn off DHCP. You might just want to try to set a fixed IP address to your laptop. As you probably already know, this IP address must be within the range of your router's network and it shouldn't already have been assigned to any of your other machines. Also don't forget to set the router's IP address in the laptop's "Standard Gateway" field.

    Did you check your router's DHCP IP address range? Did you set the range broad enough to support more than a few machines?

    If that isn't the reason, then I guess Barb's right: There's something wrong with your D-Link WLAN driver or your laptop installation.

    HTH,
    Axel Dahmen

    ----------

    Axel Dahmen, Apr 18, 2008
  18. Stuart Grant

    Stuart Grant Guest

    Sorry for the delay but I have been trying over and over to check the
    settings. I changed over to trying to use the D-Link Utility instead of
    Windows.
    I assigned a fixed IP address of 192.168 1.104. The possible IP addresses
    start at 192.168.1.100 and there is room for 25. I also put in the Standard
    Gateway at 192.168.1.1.

    Still no go. Cannot connect. Have uninstalled and reinstalled the D_Link
    driver

    I'm getting a little frustrated.

    Stuart

    Stuart Grant, Apr 20, 2008
  19. Stuart Grant

    Barb Bowman Guest

    unless you changed the setting, the defaults for DLink routers are
    192.168.0.xxx

    so if you assigned 192.168.1.xx and a gateway of 1.1 instead of 0.1
    you would have issues.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Apr 20, 2008
  20. Stuart Grant

    Stuart Grant Guest

    Barb

    Thanks for jumping in again.

    The card in the Laptop is a D-Link DWL G650 but the router is a Linksys
    WAG54GS and the Gateway setting is 192.168.1.1.

    Stuart

    Stuart Grant, Apr 21, 2008