cannot configure wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Sep 2, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have tried configuring a wireless network on my desktop PC but the AOL
    Easy-Install CD doesn't recognise the Pluscom WU -ZD1211B Wireless Adapter.

    I am running Windows XP
    Netgear DG834G Wireless Router.
    Pluscom WU-ZD1211B Wireless Adapter.

    The wireless 54G adapter Configuration Tool finds my Network recognises my
    SSID Link Status connecting...but
    doesn't actually connect to the internet.

    In "Network Connections" it says
    Wireless Network Connection
    not connected
    (ZD1211B)IEEE 802.11 USB Adapter #3.

    Could you please help set-up the network manually?

    Thanks in advance.

    Guest, Sep 2, 2007

  2. Guest

    Jim Guest

    I don't see a modem to connect to the outside world. How are you supposed
    to be able to
    connect to the internet?
    Do you not have a manual for the USB adapter?

    Jim

    Jim, Sep 2, 2007

  3. Guest

    Lem Guest

    Loose language: the Netgear DG834G is a combined DSL modem and wireless
    router.

    Lem, Sep 2, 2007
  4. Guest

    Lem Guest

    I'm not sure why you are using an AOL install CD (or, for that matter, a
    Chinese wifi adapter that seems primarily directed to MACs), but from
    the description you provide, this sounds like an encryption issue.
    Temporarily disable all encryption and other security measures on the
    router. If you can then successfully connect, configure the router to
    use the best level of encryption that the adapter is capable of (WPA or
    WPA2). WEP encryption is easily broken. Do not use any level of
    encryption marked "Enterprise" or "RADIUS."

    To ensure that you have configured the Netgear combo DSL modem/router
    correctly for Internet access, disconnect your wireless USB adapter and
    connect your computer to the Netgear using the supplied Ethernet cable
    (you should have connected it this way to do the initial configuration
    of the Netgear device).

    Lem, Sep 2, 2007
  5. Hi
    What is managing the Wireless?
    Windows WZC, or a 3rd party utility, or Both?
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 3, 2007