    an overdriven recording that slams the UV meter.

    Any ideas as to how I could restore manual control of input levels?

    ProfFrank

    DoctorMusic, Jan 21, 2005

  2. DoctorMusic

    dadiOH Guest

    Since you have SoundBlaster, try adjusting "What U Hear" instead of
    wave.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

    dadiOH, Jan 21, 2005

  3. DoctorMusic

    DoctorMusic Guest

    Thanks for the reply.

    Unfortunately, I don't have anything called "What U Hear." My SoundBlaster
    programs are old. I do have the Creative Mixer, but it doesn't control the
    recording level either. It, as well as the Windows mixer, does vary the
    input level, but from there the recording level is being increased up into
    the red range.

    DoctorMusic, Jan 21, 2005
  4. :I have several WAV recording applications, including the basic XP WAV
    : recorder, SoundBlaster's Wave Studio, SoundForge, RIP Vinyl, etc.
    :
    : With NONE of these programs can I adjust the recording level of WAV files,
    : even though I adjust the appropriate inputs from the "Recording" set of
    : Windows XP controls. Some sort of Automatic Recording Level (ARL) seems to
    : be at work, increasing gain on all levels of input. The result is
    typically
    : an overdriven recording that slams the UV meter.
    :
    : Any ideas as to how I could restore manual control of input levels?
    :
    : ProfFrank

    Which sound card are you using, and how have you connected your music to
    your PC?

    Anthony Wieser
    Wieser Software Ltd
    www.ripvinyl.com/?050121

    Anthony Wieser, Jan 21, 2005
  5. DoctorMusic

    DoctorMusic Guest

    Sound card: Creative Audio PCI, (ES1371, 1373) (WDM)

    My music source is variously a turntable (I'm copying old LPs) or a VCR,
    plugged directly into the sound card's audio in jack (1/8" stereo plug).

    DoctorMusic, Jan 21, 2005
  6. DoctorMusic

    dadiOH Guest

    All I have used are tied in directly to the mixer...Window's Volume
    Control (Record). It is handy to use a recording program that at least
    shows you the level of the sound coming in...Audiograbber is one that
    comes to mind.
    http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/

    With it, you can *definitely* use the mixer to control input volume with
    Win 98, can't imagine XP being different.

    In a later post you mentioned you were recording from a turntable. I
    trust you know that either the output therefrom needs to be amplified,
    either at the turntable or by running output through a stereo line in,
    stereo line out to computer line in.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

    dadiOH, Jan 21, 2005
  7. DoctorMusic

    DoctorMusic Guest

    Yes, thank you. I have my turntable hooked up to a preamp, fed into my VCR,
    and the VCR audio outputs are connected to the line input of the sound card.

    Thanks, also, for the observation that Windows 98 and XP should operate the
    same. I'm certain they do, if everything is configured properly, both as to
    hardware and software. I just can't figure out what part of that process is
    not quite right.

    Still stumped.

    DoctorMusic, Jan 21, 2005
  8. DoctorMusic

    Toolman Tim Guest

    <snip>

    | In a later post you mentioned you were recording from a turntable. I
    | trust you know that either the output therefrom needs to be amplified,
    | either at the turntable or by running output through a stereo line in,
    | stereo line out to computer line in.

    Damn. That reminds me...gotta buy a preamp. My newest JVC receiver doesn't
    do mag carts. I really want to get my vinyl on CD and pack 'em up safe ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Jan 22, 2005
  9. : Sound card: Creative Audio PCI, (ES1371, 1373) (WDM)
    :
    : My music source is variously a turntable (I'm copying old LPs) or a VCR,
    : plugged directly into the sound card's audio in jack (1/8" stereo plug).

    Two things spring to mind here:

    First do you have the latest drivers?
    http://uk.europe.creative.com/support/downloads/
    Second, is there any possibility that you've blown up the amplifier on your
    card, by putting in a signal that's too high?

    Finally, the things I have read, imply that this card can mix its inputs
    together, so there may be an recording source named stereo mixer or some
    such.

    Finally, there's also something on the creative website that implies:
    Line-In (which also serves as Rear Out).
    http://dmzweb3.europe.creative.com/...,Case=obj(5790),VARSET=centric:,Kb=ww_english
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/3la3k

    Is there any configuration for that?

    Anthony Wieser
    Wieser Software Ltd
    www.ripvinyl.com/?050122

    Anthony Wieser, Jan 22, 2005
  10. DoctorMusic

    DoctorMusic Guest

    Well, I solved my own problem, sort-of. I decided to avoid going through the
    VCR and connect instead to a mixer. When I put the phono inputs into the
    mixer and used both the individual level pots and the main output pot to
    adjust the level going into the sound card, I discovered that the output
    level of the turntable was simply too high. I'm not sure why. But I was able
    to adjust the mixer so that I could pull up the sliding adjustment on the
    Windows mixer (or Creative's mixer) to a midway position. I've been
    successfully copying LPs all afternoon.

    Thanks for those who offered courteous advice.

    ProfFrank/DoctorMusic

    DoctorMusic, Jan 23, 2005
  11. DoctorMusic

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | Well, I solved my own problem, sort-of. I decided to avoid going through
    the
    | VCR and connect instead to a mixer. When I put the phono inputs into the
    | mixer and used both the individual level pots and the main output pot to
    | adjust the level going into the sound card, I discovered that the output
    | level of the turntable was simply too high. I'm not sure why. But I was
    able
    | to adjust the mixer so that I could pull up the sliding adjustment on the
    | Windows mixer (or Creative's mixer) to a midway position. I've been
    | successfully copying LPs all afternoon.

    Good deal! I've gotta get off my duff and do the same <g> ...or do
    *something*...

    Toolman Tim, Jan 23, 2005
  12. DoctorMusic

    DoctorMusic Guest

    What a fascinating response -- I'm still trying to get the hot link you sent
    to work. The page accessed gives me the error message that it doesn't exist,
    but that I may search the Creative knowledge base again.

    Your remark about the Line-in doing double service as Rear-out is
    surprising. I'm not acquainted with that fact.

    As to the previous suggestions, I have tried all the other input levels. I'm
    definitely working with the right one (as a later post should reveal). And,
    as I say, I have solved my problem mostly. But I'm still interested in
    seeing what the knowledge base has to say. If you could check the URL you
    sent and let me have it again, I will appreciate it.

    ProfFrank

    DoctorMusic, Jan 23, 2005
  13. : What a fascinating response -- I'm still trying to get the hot link you
[...]

    On the knowledge base page, type in SID5790 in the search. It was near the
    top in one of the pop opens.

    Anthony Wieser
    Wieser Software Ltd
    www.ripvinyl.com/?050123

    Anthony Wieser, Jan 23, 2005
  14. DoctorMusic

    Toolman Tim Guest

    <snip>

    | Anthony Wieser
    | Wieser Software Ltd
    | www.ripvinyl.com/?050123

    Nice little program - I added a LAME encoder - love it! I've been ripping
    cassette tapes to disk all day. I have some pretty 'dirty' cassette
    recordings, and having all the settings (silence, record volume, etc.) right
    on the 'front page' is awesome...I don't have to go poking around in obscure
    places everytime I load a different tape.

    Next I'll buy an RIAA eq'd preamp, and put the phono on the PC and rip some
    old vinyl ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Jan 23, 2005