    sharing checkbox. However, even though the sharing icon showed up on
    the folder, I still could not see the folder on the laptop computer.
    Any assistance on resolving this issue would be appreciated. Thanks.

    M.L., Dec 28, 2005

  2. I'm sorry, but that's how Windows XP Home Edition works when it's
    installed on an NTFS disk partition. It blocks access to the Program
    Files and Windows folders and to individual users' folders within
    Documents and Settings.

    You can share subfolders within those folders, e.g. you can share
    "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express" or "C:\Documents and
    Settings\Username\Desktop" and access that folder from another
    computer on the network.

    If you had Windows XP Professional, you could disable simple file
    sharing, which would remove those sharing restrictions. Since you
    have Windows XP Home Edition, that option isn't available The safest
    thing is to share individual subfolders, as mentioned above, or to
    move files into the Shared Documents folder, which was designed for
    that purpose and is accessible over the network.

    You can re-install the operating system on a FAT or FAT32 disk
    partition -- those disk formats don't have any sharing restrictions.
    However, that would lose the benefits of NTFS, which is more reliable
    and efficient and can use larger disks. You'd also need to re-install
    all of your applications.

    I've heard of two possible solutions for XP Home Edition on an NTFS
    disk partition, but:

    1. They're un-supported, un-documented, and un-tested by Microsoft.
    2. There's no guarantee that they'll work.
    3. They might cause data loss or corruption.

    I haven't tried them, and I don't know whether they're safe. If you
    want to try them, at your own risk:

    1. Back up your important data first so that you can restore it in
    case of problems.

    2. Run System Restore to create a restore point that you can go back
    to in case of problems.

    Here they are:

    1. Start Windows XP in "Safe Mode with Networking" (which temporarily
    disables "Simple File Sharing"), share the desired folder(s), set the
    permissions, and reboot normally, or:

    2. Follow the procedure shown here:

    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_home_sectab.htm
    --