Cannon PXMA iP6600D Printer - ink cartridge empty warning

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Grandpa Chuck, Feb 4, 2006.

  1. I took a couple of ink cartridges to one the refill places. They
    refilled the black and the yellow and charged me nothing.
    You see the cartridges have a chip attached to them. That means the
    printer still thinks it is low and at preprogrammed point it tells the
    printer it is empty and will not print.

    They told me if they find out how to overcome this they will call me.

    If they can do it successfully they will charge $6.95 per cartridge as
    compared to $16.95 for a new one.

    You guessed it. I went out and bought new cartridges. The printer now
    says the other four cartridges area all low in ink. I imagine once it
    believes they are empty it will no longer print at all. We have
    purchased three of them, but that was before the last of the six came
    up with the exclamation point and note that says it is low.

    We bought this printer in order to save money on ink cartridges
    believing they can be refilled. Not much savings if we have to always
    buy new ones at a total cost of $101.70 plus 5% sales tax.

    Does anyone have any idea how to overcome this glitch so I can have
    them refilled and use them?

    --
    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    The following information is given with the utmost respect
    for the armed forces and civilians who have died in the
    current war in Iraq. According to http://icasualties.org/oif/
    The number of Americans killed in Iraq as of Feb. 02, 2006 is 2,249.
    United Kingdom = 101
    Other = 103
    Iraqi deaths in excess of 30,000
    according to President Bush - probably many more.

    Grandpa Chuck, Feb 4, 2006

  2. Grandpa Chuck

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    According to
    http://www.oddparts.com/ink/Ink_Listings/Canon/canon-ip6600-d.htm they
    will continue to work OK.

    "In general, our customers have found this printer easy to refill, and
    particularly good for printing color photographs in moderate volume
    (2000-3000 pages per month).

    "CL-8 cartridges have a chip. When first refilling, a warning window
    comes on the computer, but you may then proceed to use a refilled
    cartridge. The ink level display is then disabled. These cartridges
    otherwise refill like BCI-3e and BCI-6 cartridges. "

    Oldus Fartus, Feb 4, 2006

  3. Thank you. When one of them runs out I will have it refilled and see
    if I can get it to work. I hope it does.

    I bookmarked the website so I can go back to it if I have a problem.

    --
    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    Grandpa Chuck, Feb 4, 2006
  4. Grandpa Chuck

    me Guest

    Surely you can get them cheaper than that if you look around.For example ,i
    think these are compatible :
    http://www.supermediastore.com/canon-pixma-ip-6000-d-printer-ink-cartridge.html
    or
    http://www.provantage.com/cl-8-ink-tanks~220150987.htm

    Should cost you a fraction of what you stated above.

    Also,you should be able to turn off the ink monitor so that it dosent use
    the chip and will not give you the low ink warnings.I'm sure they show you
    how to do it in the manual

    me, Feb 4, 2006