Cannon Power Shot S3i - unuseable LCD in bright light?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BillL, Jul 6, 2006.

  1. BillL

    BillL Guest

    Hello all,

    I've narrowed my choice of next camera model down the either the Panasonic
    DMC FZ-7 or the S3i and am leaning towards the S3i (wont go into the why's
    here). My one major concern is that I have read dpreview.com forum posts
    from owners of the Cannon model that the LCD display is hopeless in bright
    sunlight (also posts in the same thread from other users that this is
    bollox! ;o).

    For the most part (at least with my old Minolta) I prefer to use the
    viewfinder but the swivel screen on the Cannon seems that it might come in
    useful in certain situations ..... but only if I can see the image,
    obviously! ;o)

    Anyone owe the S3i and had any difficulty using the LCD display in bright
    light/sunlight?

    TIA

    BillL

    BillL, Jul 6, 2006

  2. BillL

    y_p_w Guest

    It has adjustable brightness, with only two settings accessed via the
    menu. I find that even the higher brightness setting is difficult to
    see in bright sunlight. My S1 IS had a usable LCD. It's not that
    the image disappears, but that sunlight seems to "wash" out the screen.
    You can probably make out what's being shown. It's adequate for timer
    shots.

    I generally used the EVF when there was a lot of sun.

    y_p_w, Jul 6, 2006

  3. BillL

    Dave Cohen Guest

    I have an A95. I use the viewfinder for shooting unless very close up.
    Yes, the lcd washes out in bright sunlight. Like red eye, I accept it as
    not what I would like, but something I can live with.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Jul 7, 2006
  4. BillL

    Alan Guest

    I have had mine 2 weeks now and it was the 1st thing I noticed...it really
    is a poor display - up in Cadair Idris this time last week I had my new S3
    and my old
    Lumix DMC-LC70 and in comparison the Canon was very poor. Thought I had
    read most of the write ups to eliminate any cons about it but must say I
    missed this one.
    I tend to take most of my pics in this type of light so I am going to have
    to get used to it I suppose..pity, it does not lend itself to composing the
    shot very well.

    :eek:(

    Alan, Jul 7, 2006
  5. BillL

    Shevek Guest

    BillL escribió:
    I have the S3 and yes, the LCD can be difficult to see on bright light.
    But then, you can use the electronic viewfinder, that has not that
    problem, gives you a more natural position for taking pictures and even
    has some improvements over the LCD, as a 3x3 grid that makes easier to
    apply the one third rule.

    Shevek, Jul 7, 2006
  6. BillL

    y_p_w Guest

    You can apply the grid to the LCD too. You can check off the
    features you want for two EVF and two LCD modes. You can
    decide to include the grid or live histogram.

    y_p_w, Jul 7, 2006
  7. I would suggest you NEVER look thru a 5D viewfinder.

    Your credit cards will suffer <g>

    btdt

    A 95
    S2 IS
    5 D

    btw the LCD on the 5D is very hard to see in bright sunlight, too.

    Scott in Florida, Jul 7, 2006