    Thanks in advance,

    Hack
    --//--

    EHHackney, Nov 16, 2004

  2. EHHackney

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi...

    Try Henry's camera

    http://www.henrys.com

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Nov 16, 2004

  3. EHHackney

    TheNewsGuy Guest

    I recommend them too.

    I have purchased a few things from Henry's both in-store and on-line;
    and on my wide agle lens it was 20% cheaper on-line than in the store.
    It was actually shipoped to me directly from an American address.

    Remember you'll have to pay the Ontario/Canadian sales taxes of 8%+7%
    = 15%. Call (or email first) their telephone support line and be sure
    the article will have no duty, taxes, or brokerage fees added if it is
    shipped from outside Canada. I found their support friendly and
    helpful.

    Another large photo shop is Vistek. Although I have purchased from
    their store I have never ordered anything on-line from them yet.
    http://www.vistek.ca/ But if Henry's did not have the item you wanted
    I would feel safe trying Vistek

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    + The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
    + (two mirrored sites)
    + http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
    + http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym NOWTHISWORKS
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    TheNewsGuy, Nov 16, 2004
  4. EHHackney

    Marcel Guest

    Yes, Henry's!

    Be sure to click on: "Shop in Canadian Dollars".
    Their prices are very good and their service is superb.
    They also provide availability of in store shopping in: Toronto, Missisauga,
    Oshawa, Newmarket, Oakville, Scarborough, Waterloo, Lancaster, London,
    Ottawa/Kanata.

    While you're at it, I'd do well with a Canon 20D. They have presently the
    CANON EOS-20D W/17-85 IS USM EF-S LENS at the bargain price of $2799.99
    Canadian + tax, a saving of $99! Think of it, you'd save (our Canadian
    dollars are worth less than your USD's) and make me very, very happy! ;-0

    Take care,

    Marcel
    PS Sorry, I sent the "original" "Reply" instead of reply to group ;-(

    Marcel, Nov 16, 2004
  5. EHHackney

    Don dunlap Guest

    eCost.com advertises on their web site that they ship to Canada. They will
    calculate taxes, duty,and what they call other costs. I have bought from
    them before and they have satisfied my concerns. Just a thought.

    Don Dunlap

    Snip

    Don dunlap, Nov 16, 2004
  6. EHHackney

    Chris Butler Guest

    (EHHackney) wrote in

    Try Simon's Cameras out of Montreal - www.simonscameras.com . I find
    their prices better than Henry's, and you might save the PST on a
    shipment to Ontario.

    -Chris

    Chris Butler, Nov 16, 2004
  7. also try http://www.ginnphoto.com in Ottawa, also will beat Henry's prices.

    Darrell Larose, Nov 16, 2004
  8. Two other interesting sites are Cameracanada.com
    and Thecamerastore.com
    I have not used them yet but their sites look interesting

    Stan Lipnowski, Nov 17, 2004
  9. EHHackney

    EHHackney Guest

    Thanks, everybody.

    Hack
    --//--

    EHHackney, Nov 17, 2004
  10. EHHackney

    George Guest

    I can vouch for quality and service at www.cameracanada.com having bought a
    Minolta a1 from them and other items, even returning once for exchange.

    George

    George, Nov 17, 2004
  11. EHHackney

    Matt Ion Guest

    Future Shop is a major Canada-wide electronics retailer - they tend to
    have good prices and great sales, just make sure you know what you want
    so you don't have to deal with their salesdroids :)

    Anyway, you can shop and buy online and have items shipped directly to
    any Canadian address you want, or you chould just send the stepson a
    Gift Card and let him do his own shopping in the store where he can play
    with the different cameras. They have four stores within Toronto, and
    several more in the surrounding areas.

    www.futureshop.ca

    Matt Ion, Nov 17, 2004
  12. EHHackney

    Marcel Guest

    Hi all!

    I've taken the Canon Powershot Pro 1 as an example of prices:

    Ginphoto - $1099.99
    Simon's - $1039.95
    Camera Canada - $1037.30
    Black's - $1099.99
    Henry's - $ 1099.99

    As you can see, the prices are all bunched up pretty closely.
    The bottom line is SERVICE and service is often to be had where there's a
    store front ;-)

    Marcel

    Marcel, Nov 17, 2004
  13. EHHackney

    Ken Tough Guest

    Unfortunately, the Canadian mail-order market is far less
    developed than in many other countries. Last year I tried
    to purchase a simple portable tape player (from abroad) and
    was completely stumped: shipping is only ever allowed to the
    address on the credit card, and no non-Canadian issued credit
    cards are allowed either. This might make purchase of gift
    credits impossible too.

    Ken Tough, Nov 17, 2004
  14. EHHackney

    Matt Ion Guest

    Future Shop also lists the Pro1 at $1099.99.

    (To the OP: Remember that's CDN$, and that the CDN$ is particularly
    strong right now vs. us US$)

    Matt Ion, Nov 17, 2004
  15. EHHackney

    Matt Ion Guest

    That depends on the store. I don't know about out-of-country cards, but
    I have ordered a product from Future Shop online (home address in
    Vancouver, BC) and had the item shipped to a Calgary, AB address.

    Like I say, a gift card or gift certificate may be a better idea.

    Matt Ion, Nov 17, 2004
  16. EHHackney

    JCToronto Guest

    I have found that if receiving items form the US its best to ship
    instructions seperately and take the items out of the original box.
    Also, at the very least mark the shipping label "returned goods" -
    bottom line is that if there's any doubt that it's new they might let
    it pass - I have fairly good luck this way.

    JCToronto, Nov 17, 2004
  17. EHHackney

    Big Bill Guest

    Most places will ship to addresses other than the billing address if
    the card holder has OK'd this in advance with the CC bank.
    Call the bank's customer service, and ask; usually they will verify
    identy, and OK the new address right then.
    Then, when you order, just ask the seller to call the CC bank to
    verify the new address.
    Some sellers aren't familiar with this practice, and for them, I
    explain that if they want to lose a sale because of their ignorance
    about credit cards, that's OK by me, I'll just buy from someone else,
    and they decide to actually check into it.

    Big Bill, Nov 17, 2004
  18. EHHackney

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    <snipped to protect the foolish>

    I wonder how things will work out after this post?

    Ken Weitzel, Nov 17, 2004
  19. EHHackney

    Ken Tough Guest

    Sadly, not possible when you live overseas. [Most places don't
    have any idea what to do with a 'country code'].

    Future Shop's webpage makes you think it will be possible, then
    when you get to the end of credit card details you realise they
    won't accept non Canadian cards. I even phoned and spoke to a
    human and was unable to do anything. I tried for about 4 hours
    to find some way of ordering a simple electronic item over the
    internet, and was stymied. [Even Amazon won't deliver electronic
    items to Canada].

    Ken Tough, Nov 17, 2004