    somewhere?

    Thanks

    Sue

    Sue Swaze, Oct 22, 2004

  2. Hi Sue

    You should be able to get a wireless router to create your network. I run a D-Link unit at home and this
    works quite well.

    David Hancock
    Microsoft Server Setup Team

    Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory
    Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp
    See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

    NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
    others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
    more timely response. Thank you!

    This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
    implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
    merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

    The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
    not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of Microsoft.

    David Hancock, Oct 22, 2004

  3. Sue Swaze

    Joe Guest

    No, it doesn't need anything wired. The drawback is that both the
    networking and the wireless parameters have to be right for the network
    to spring into life.

    If you're confident of doing that, go ahead. If not, it's usually easier
    to drag all the computers together, connect with cables temporarily, use
    the XP Networking wizard to get the machines working together and then
    go wireless.

    Presumably one of your machines has an Internet connection to be shared,
    and will therefore be the network master machine. Run the wizard on this
    one, and at the end it will offer to make a floppy which can then be
    used to set up the other machines to talk to it.

    Most home wireless routers have a few Ethernet ports. If not, ignore it
    and connect each other computer to the master in turn using a
    *crossover* Ethernet cable, to get all the machines talking.

    The wireless part may just work, or may need a little nudging. If so, at
    least you're confident that basic networking is OK and it's only the
    wireless bit you need to get working.

    Joe, Oct 22, 2004
  4. Sue Swaze

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    As a general rule at least one computer should be Wired, otherwise if the
    Wireless does not work you would not be able to log and check or change the
    settings.

    Look at this page Option 1 and 3 might help you to find a solution:
    http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Oct 23, 2004