Can you trace this

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Annette Kurten, Apr 3, 2005.

  1. Say Police etc???

    Annette Kurten, Apr 3, 2005

  2. I hate to interrupt, but what are you talking about?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 3, 2005

  3. Annette Kurten

    Yddap Guest

    In
    1,192.168.2.1,1ms,None,----
    2,10.18.64.1,29ms,None,----
    3,62.31.176.1,20ms,gsr01-br.blueyonder.co.uk,----
    4,172.18.4.69,23ms,None,----
    5,194.117.136.134,25ms,None,----
    6,194.117.147.18,20ms,bt-telewest-privatepeer.blueyonder.co.uk,----
    7,194.74.65.114,95ms,core1-pos14-0.ealing.ukcore.bt.net,----
    8,194.74.16.146,25ms,core1-pos15-0.reading.ukcore.bt.net,----
    9,195.99.120.225,38ms,core1-pos5-2.birmingham.ukcore.bt.net,----
    10,194.74.16.206,30ms,core1-pos9-0.sheffield.ukcore.bt.net,----
    11,217.32.171.178,32ms,bar3-pos8-0.sheffield2.broadband.bt.net,----
    12,217.41.167.115,29ms,None,----
    13,217.41.176.41,35ms,None,----
    14,217.41.176.70,33ms,None,----
    15,217.41.176.77,30ms,None,----
    16,217.41.176.14,42ms,None,----
    17,----,Timeout,n/a,----
    18,----,Timeout,n/a,----
    19,----,Timeout,n/a,----
    20,----,Timeout,n/a,----
    21,----,Timeout,n/a,----

    Yddap, Apr 3, 2005
  4. Annette Kurten

    Guest Guest

    Yep, so what's your next troll question?

    Guest, Apr 3, 2005
  5. Annette Kurten

    Mike Easter Guest

    Annette Kurten wrote:
    Subject: Can you trace this
    If you mean can your meatspace or 'real' identity be determined from
    your news post, the answer is 'yes'.

    Your ISP's news server stamps your IP address in the message headers.
    That IP address corresponds to your connection to the newsserver.

    If the police provide a subpoena to your provider, the provider's logs
    will identify you to them.

    Also, some people like to play a game of identity sleuthing and figure
    out your identity based on clues and searching, no subpoena.

    If you want to anonymize yourself as an anonymous cyberpersona you will
    have to go to a little effort.

    Mike Easter, Apr 3, 2005
  6. Annette Kurten

    Brian G Guest

    Is this close Annette?

    Brian G

    inetnum: 81.132.0.0 - 81.132.255.255
    remarks: *****************************************************
    remarks: * Please send abuse reports to *
    remarks: ******************************************************
    netname: BT-CENTRAL-PLUS
    descr: IP pools
    country: GB
    admin-c: BTCP1-RIPE
    tech-c: BTCP1-RIPE
    status: ASSIGNED PA
    remarks: Please send abuse notification to
    mnt-by: BTNET-MNT
    mnt-lower: BTNET-MNT
    mnt-routes: BTNET-MNT
    changed: 20040528
    changed: 20040608
    source: RIPE
    route: 81.128.0.0/11
    descr: BT Public Internet Service
    origin: AS2856
    mnt-by: BTNET-MNT
    changed: 20030615
    source: RIPE
    role: BT CENTRAL PLUS - OPERATIONAL SUPPORT
    remarks: *****************************************************
    remarks: * Please send abuse reports to *
    remarks: ******************************************************
    address: BT
    address: Wholesale
    address: UK
    e-mail:
    admin-c: PC487-RIPE
    tech-c: SR401-RIPE
    nic-hdl: BTCP1-RIPE
    mnt-by: BTNET-MNT
    changed: 20040608
    changed: 20040623
    source: RIPE

    Brian G, Apr 3, 2005
  7. Rotherham is where I live.

    Annette Kurten, Apr 3, 2005
  8. Annette Kurten

    Brian G Guest

    Hi Annette,

    "Rotherham is where I live."

    That sort of info cannot be obtained by a person (such as myself) viewing
    the headers from a personal computer at home, but by using the IP number to
    locate your ISP, the relevant authorities such as the police can then apply
    to the ISP to supply details of your address etc.

    That can also apply if you print a defamatory or false statement about an
    individual - they, or their their lawyers, can then apply to the ISP for
    details of your address and to remove the offending material (in theory).

    Brian G

    Brian G, Apr 3, 2005
  9. So really apart from police etc, no one can trace me from my mail?

    Annette Kurten, Apr 4, 2005
  10. If you haven't made any further information available in any way on any
    website or newsgroup post, no. If you've ever given out any information
    on the net (signing up for an eBay account, registering a domain, buying
    almost any product, etc,) then all bets are off. Somebody who is really
    clever may be able to put bits of info together. But then again,
    somebody would have to care a lot about finding you to go through that
    much trouble.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 4, 2005
  11. Thanx for Info, I wanted to know as everyone is munging their addys, yet
    there is all this tracert business.
    I realise the old bill could track you down, but I was wondering if a wizz
    kid type cracker could.
    As you are in Rotherham area, don't suppose you are on the 2Mb jobby yet?

    Annette Kurten, Apr 5, 2005
  12. Annette Kurten

    Brian G Guest

    Hi Annette,

    Glad to be of a little help. The trick of "munging addys" is usually to
    prevent your in-box becoming full of spam and virus infected e-mails.

    If you want to be difficult to trace, then "anonymous" servers are generally
    used - but be aware, that given time and a great deal of effort, even most
    these can ultimately be traced if required - especially those covered by the
    Echelon countries.

    By the I live in deepest South Wales and still on 512KB

    Brian G

    Brian G, Apr 5, 2005