    (belkin) to each one so that we can share our NTL broadband connection.
    Thanks

    Graham

    graham.kettles, Dec 17, 2004

  2. graham.kettles

    philo Guest

    that's something that is not usually terribly critical.
    3Com is a pretty commonly avail and reliable brand
    (btw: if you are using XP, it will recognize just about any pci eithenet
    card you have)

    just one thing to stay away from in large computer stores:
    the devices being sold on "closeout" at insanely low prices.

    i've fallen for that a few times...
    and the new parts were always found to have been bad due to some
    manufacturing error. the stores figured that for the low price they sold
    at...
    not too many people would bother returning them.
    well , i sure did ...both times
    and now i've learned my lesson (maybe)

    btw: don't get ripped off and pay $50 either...
    i think the going price for a good card is maybe $15 or so

    philo, Dec 17, 2004

  3. graham.kettles

    why? Guest

    On 17 Dec 2004 01:54:21 -0800, wrote:

    No need to SHOUT in the subject line or start a new thread.

    If you like spam, fine otherwise try reading
    3Com are good, if you want a remote managed (which you don't) card with
    wake up features you can pay £20 for one. If something a bit less is
    required, Dlink have a basic card for £7.
    Since they charge extra you may be able to get 2 or 3 out of a computer
    store for what a high street / big chain may charge.

    Even non mainstream brands can be a good deal, the only cards I ever
    avoided and that was years ago were with early realtek chipsets.

    From ebuyer.com , prices ex VAT.

    D-Link 10/100 Mbps PCI Ethernet Adapter -
    657 in stockMfr part#: DFE-528TXQuickFind: 43684
    £5.28

    Dynamode 10/100mbps - Ethernet card
    764 in stockMfr part#: NC100TX-R QuickFind: 37966
    £3.82

    Belkin 10/100 PCI + WOL Ethernet Card F5D5000UK
    359 in stockMfr part#: F5D5000UKQuickFind: 63323
    £4.77

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Dec 17, 2004
  4. graham.kettles

    Conor Guest

    I have heard that there are good and bad ethernet cards.

    Can I be really cheeky and ask you to suggest a name of an ethernet
    card and a supplier (I would normally just go to PC world - mug that I
    am).

    Also are there any variations that I need to watch out for if
    installing these myself ?

    I have two PCs at the moment which only have USB ports and I need to
    give them an ethernet connection so that I can connect a router
    (belkin) to each one so that we can share our NTL broadband connection.
    Thanks
    [/QUOTE]
    Walk into any PC shop. Ask them for their cheapest network card and part
    with your money. Its pretty much a no-brainer unless you want wake on
    lan etc.

    Conor, Dec 17, 2004
  5. Very Many thanks all of you for your advice. I am now up and running
    internet on two PCs . Thanks again u r great people

    graham.kettles, Dec 17, 2004
  6. graham.kettles

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Barry OGrady, Dec 18, 2004